1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow... What will it fit?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by LD4850, Jun 5, 2005.

1. LD4850

LD4850 Member

I have a 7.5' western on a 1978 F250 4x4 that needs to be replaced.
    The plow is old & I need to know what other trucks if any the mounting hardware willl fit on. I know I can just bolt it on any 1973 -1979 F250 but what else ?
    :confused:

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

without the correct mounting plates- nothing. You have mounting plates for the ford it came off of- what ever Ford trucks share the same mounting plates are your limits- IE possibly earlier or later F250/350 trucks. lighter trucks need stronger and different frames. Maybe someone with a Western catalog can find part numbers for cross referencing frame mounts, but with the plow that old I seriously doubt you'll be able to find any mounting plates for other trucks.

3. LD4850

LD4850 Member

I was hopeing someone could tell me if Ford changed the frames after 79 or just the bodystyle ? How about before 73? was the frame the same ?

4. 79 was the last of the "high boy" F 250s. The later ones were several inches lower - body fit closer to the tires AND the frames had extra bends to lower the body mounting areas. Frame widths in the back were the same but fronts were different.
    Sorry for the bad news.
    You might be better off selling the plow to someone looking for one to put on a tractor or skid steer and getting a newer one for your newer truck.