1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow users question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 02F250PSD, Mar 14, 2005.

?

Bigger Poly plow or not?

1. YES

18.5%
  2. NO

55.6%
  3. 8 1/2 foot

25.9%
  4. 9 foot

14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 02F250PSD

02F250PSD Junior Member

How many Western plow users would like to see a 8 1/2 and/or 9 foot poly pro plow offered?

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I wouldn't, I like the steel. V plows need the extra weight any way cuz they don't scrape as good as a straight blade anyway.

3. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

Poly plows are typically heavier than steel plows. The only viable argument that I've ever seen AGAINST a poly plow is that they can't be easily repaired.

4. 02F250PSD

02F250PSD Junior Member

There has to be more Western Plow users than this. I want your input on this subject, please. :help:

5. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Is poly heavier than steel? Who knew that plastic had more density. :confused:

6. 02F250PSD

02F250PSD Junior Member

According to the Western website, the 8 foot poly weighs 729 pounds and the 8 foot steel weighs 699 pounds.

7. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

poly plows have more steel on their backbone

8. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

Poly are are heavier for sure because of their bracing. and yes I wish they had one.

9. 02F250PSD

02F250PSD Junior Member

I have always had good luck with poly blades. I have used Western and Meyers with no problems since around 1994. I did total a Western poly plow in 2002 when I lost control of my truck during a ice storm and had a head on with a guardrail at 35 mph. The plow was twisted in all directions but the poly mold board was still intact with no cracks, splits or anything. The only things that I could use from it was the head lights and the pump.

10. 02F250PSD

02F250PSD Junior Member

Anyone else?? :confused: :yow!:

11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

How about a 9' poly pro plus ? With the new wings of course. Sounds like a nice setup to me.
    Todd

12. 02F250PSD

02F250PSD Junior Member

I emailed Western the other day and they replied that they are possibly thinking of going with larger versions of the poly plow. I would advise that if anyone is interested in a larger Western Poly plow to send off a email to them. I guess that we will see what they will do?

13. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i like the steel becuase its easy to weld or modify it however i want that is why i dont run poly.