1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow stopped moving left and right.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dymmhalo, Dec 22, 2012.

1. dymmhalo

dymmhalo Junior Member

93 GMC sierra with a western plow, not sure what kind it is, but the setup is similar to this: http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/3148_050184.pdf I was using the plow, parked the truck and when I came back about a hour later the joy stick was hard to push side to side and the plow would not move in either direction. It still moves up and down just fine. If I push hard enough on the joy stick (almost feels like it's going to break) I can hear the pump kick in but nothing happens. I would assume that the previous owner did not take very good care of the plow maintenance wise because when I did a coolant flush in the summer, the coolant came out like mud. Any advice? If you need more information just ask. Thanks!

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Must be a cable control?

3. dymmhalo

dymmhalo Junior Member

4. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Yep..cable control.

You have a froze up cable that runs from the controller to the motor. Pretty easy fix.

5. dymmhalo

dymmhalo Junior Member

Could you be a little more informative on how to fix it please? any links, videos, pictures, step by step how to's? or just your information?

6. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

There's two cables that run from the controller in the cab, out the front of the grill to the plow pump. They look kinda like bicycle cables but bigger.

One cable controls the up/down and the other one does the angle left/right. On the plow pump are two access covers that have valves in them that the cable end hooks to. On the inside of the controller, I am not sure what that end looks like since I've never had one apart.

You can either get a new cable from a dealer or buy one online....I think they are identical. Pull the old one out and replace with the new.

There might be someone else on here that could post a link or pics but you can't miss the cables....they run right out of the back of the controller. My dad's blazer has this setup but its in the body shop or I'd go snap some pics to post. These freezing up is just things wear out after use.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

8. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

You may have gotten water into the inside of the control recess. Pull the covers, clean them out and grease the smack out of them.