1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow restoration

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by WilliamOak, Aug 21, 2009.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Here is my plow, its a 99 western 7.5 unimount. I dont have any before pictures but here is how far things have gotten so far.
    oh and BIG THANKS TO DOUG (STROKER79)for being a huge help throughout the process, not to mention taking up the space in the shop!!!

Plow nearly finished.jpg

2. WilliamOak

here are a few before pics of the plow.

Western plow before 1.jpg

Western plow before 2.jpg

3. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck, hope it comes out good. How come Westerns light design has them spread so far apart?

4. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

congrats looks good. so how were you going to make wings for the plow with another blade? i'm curious and interested now

5. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Remember Prep is everything. Interested in how it turns out. I just got mine redone a week ago.

6. WilliamOak

Oh ya, prep was a b*tch lol. days upon days of grinding, then 2 coats of primer on everything and then about 3 or 4 (lost count lol I just went until I ran out of paint) coats of primer alone on the moldboard. Only thing left to paint is the front side of the moldboard! Which will also get multiple coats of red.

7. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

so is this gonna be ready for snow plowing season?

8. WilliamOak

seeing as I have 2 months until the typical first snow and all it needs it the front of the moldboard painted and then about an hour to re-assemble it I would have to say yes lol.

9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I did a restoration job kinda like that last year. I had a friend that sand blasted it for me for like $50! That was a nice deal! I didn't spend as much time as I should've finishing it though. But as it was, I just finished it before the first snow storm last year.

10. WilliamOak

Here's some finished pics!!!
    Is still more than likely getting pro wings. but here is how she sits now.
    And a big shout out goes to doug/stroker79 for all of the help with this project! It would still be sitting in my garage as it was when I got it if it wasnt for that guy!

Plow finished 1.jpg

11. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

k, now you just have to put on your truck

12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Those wooden steps in the shop were built for people with long legs! LOL.

13. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Seriously? You really paid that much attention to detail. WOW, LOL You're almost as bad as me