1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow quill #stuck#

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kings of grenn, Dec 31, 2012.

1. kings of grenn

kings of grenn Junior Member

i have a western plow and the quill will not move in either direction. i sprayed it with knocker loose and that didn't help. can someone tell me hoe to replace it? thanks
  2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

i used knocker loose once , cat piss is way better . upload some pixys
  3. kings of grenn

its a uni mount i changed motor and pump everything works except it will only rise 4inches. is it the quill adjustment? thanks again
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The quill won't stop it from raising, it will just (in some cases) make is slow raising. Some plows flow through the quill both up and down but most only flow through on the down stroke. It could be that you aren't making enough pressure. Try pulling off the lift chain and see if t ram goes up and down all the way. Perhaps your pressure relief valve is set to low or the spring is broken, perhaps the pump is just worn out and can't get up to 1500 psi any more. Might be a valve issue too but you need to put a guage on it to verify that.

Quill is hard to replace if it won't turn. Steel valve surrounded by a soft aluminum body. I would be tempted to try drilling it and using an extractor but you have to be very carefull not to damage the surrounding metal or you will need to replace the whole valve body.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  5. kings of grenn

I replaced the pump and motor ill keep looking
  6. daman

daman Member

The quill adjustment is for plow down speed only,you have other issues it sounds like,check oil level pump pressure,etc.
  7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Did you chang/clean your filter?