1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow questions??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bottlefed89, Nov 25, 2004.

1. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

My western is doing a good job, but acts really jerky when turning it to the left, all other movements are fine... It's full of fluid. is there a way air could be trapped in the system??

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Yep you may have air is system. Aim truck a plow down a grade and with plow near ground too and cycle angling back and forth several times. Check fliud level before and after this too and it should bleed it out.

3. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

It actually seems to be moving pretty slow too. I have a leak, and have no western fluid, so will dex-III be alright and I'll just change it??

4. Tarkus

It would move slow if air is in it. Dex is just fine in a Western or Fisher pump. If temps are cold you can use synthetic ATF fluid too for between cold weather performance.

5. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

Well, after I posted this, I went and usd the plow to do some cleaning up. I think the pump took a $h!t on me. Makes a LOT of noise, but if it moves it any direction it does so ungodly slow.....

6. Tarkus

If it is low on fluid, it can hurt pump over time too. Sounds like you need a tear down and inspection too. You need to stop using it until you fix it.

7. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

Will tear down and inspect/fix what I can today. Not using it will be pretty easy as I could shovel faster then waiting on this thing.
    greg