1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ggg6, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I am going to buy a truck that was a 8' Western on it. This is my first truck with a Western, is there anything to look for prior to purchase that is specific to this plow?

2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Disconnect the wiring harness form the truck to the blade and look at the pins to see if they are corroded.
    If the connectors were taken care of, then the guy who owned the plow has probably maintained the plow properly.

If it is a unimount plow then look at the base of the plow for the foot that drops down when you remove the plow for storage.
    If the pin was put in the wrong location the foot and the pin will be bent.

Have the owner show you how to remove the blade from the truck and how to reinstall it. (if there is any damage to the foot you will probably need a jack to put it back on the truck)

I can't think anything small that would give you trouble on a used western that woulden't be obvious (bent quadrant, leaking hoses, pump not running).

Just give it a once over and make sure it moves smooth in all functions.

When you get it home change the fluid.

3. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Thanks Mebes I did not know about the foot issue. I do think it is a unimount. I do plan on doing the usual prevent. maint. stuff as soon as I get it.

4. drplow

drplow Senior Member

check the bolts to the pump and the drain. check to see if they have been taken off by missing paint or slightly rounded corners. depending on the age of the plow this could tell you if the person ever checked or drained the fluid.
    also if he maintained the truck possibly too. if he never maintained the plow he probably never maintained the truck either. :nod: