1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow pump will not raise or angle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shep28, Jan 11, 2010.

1. shep28

shep28 Member

Plow was working just fine. Sat two days- temps in upper teens and single digits. Today, it would not lift or angle. Pump is on and sounds normal, but just will not move the rams. I supported the plow and removed the lift chain. Lift ram moves slightly and then nothing. Added some fluid, still nothing.

Would like to try a few more things before I take it to the shop.

By the way, what do you all do to lift the plow manually when you need to keep it up? I am using a fence puller /come a long.
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Possibly frozen fluid...that would be what I would check first
  3. shep28

shep28 Member

Other than waiting for it to thaw, how could I speed up the process?
  4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

When did you change the fluid last? It's probably contaminated and mixed with water, hence why it worked in warmer temps, but not now. Time to change it out and replace the filter. If this is an older system, it maybe a good idea to flush it.

What is it for a plow & pump? How old?
  5. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

If no jacks are availible...drive it into a snowpile, let the chain get slack in it and hook the chain on a lower link.
  6. ringahding1

ringahding1 Senior Member

Sounds like the PUMP dying or dead...if chain removed and the arm raises, but wont raise with chain hooked up, it's the pump.
    As far as the angling, check cables, wiring, and lastly the coil..
  7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

How about this. Poncho62 and Repo made a statement about the oil.....

When it is nice and warm out , the plow function normally ?

If it really cold out, does the plow function at all, or function slow?

If both questions are answer yes, then there can be only one solution, CLEAN the system out completely (make sure the "lift" ram is down).

Drain the fluid, remove the two pressure lines. with a 2x4 or a hydraulic jack under the plow, swing the plow all the way to the left. Swing the plow all the way to the right. Remove the motor from the housing. Remove the screen, and check it real closely for any damage. No damage found, using brake cleaner, clean the filter and use a air gun to blow it out. Use brake cleaner to clean the inside of the housing (with the drain plug still removed), then blow it out real good.. If the inside still has gunk, clean it out a again. After your done cleaning out the housing, put the drain plug back in, install the screen onto the pump, put the pressure lines back on correctly (not backwards). Add good fluid (blue hydraulic fluid) before you put the motor back on with a new gasket. Install the motor with a new gasket. With a hydraulic jack, or a small 2x4 still under the blade, swing the blade to the right slowly. Wait a couple of seconds and swing the blade to the left. Wait a couple of seconds, and swing the blade to the middle. remove the filler plug, then remove the fluid level plug (on the side of the pump). If fluid is flowing out of the hole, put the plug (using a 1/4 hex) back in, and tighten the filler plug. Turn the key, swing the plow to the left, then right. Raise the plow, remove the jack or the 2x4, lower the plow. And just in case, check the fluid again..

Now if everything was done correctly, you should be good to go.. Oh one more thing, make sure the wires going to the plow motor, and plow frame (even the black/orange wire) are clean and making good contact..Even check the grill plug while you at it..

I just felt like I just wrote a book :drinkup:
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010