1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WESTERN plow pump interchangability?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kranker022, Nov 15, 2011.

1. kranker022

kranker022 Junior Member

I have an older conventional style western plow setup (cable style). I was thinking about purchasing a newer style western unimount setup.. however the pump is sluggish raising the plow up and down. I am by no means an avid snow plower... i really just do my fathers bar lot and my business lot.

My question is.. are the pumps interchangable at all? WHat would i look for to determine.. and what would be the first place to look at the unimount pump in regards to this problem?

thanks for all replies in advance.

2. kranker022

kranker022 Junior Member

Really noone? I could really use the advice

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

If you mean taking the pump out of the housing and putting it in a different housing that would work. I believe almost everything is the same on them other than a cable shifting the spool the cartridges is down by an electric coil. However I don;t know if you can swap the housing from one plow to another. You could probably look at them and see if it will work or not.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

what pump is sluggish?? the cable one or the electrical one?
    so your just trying to replace the whole power unit from cable to elec. correct?

5. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

One problem I see is with the unimount setup the pump stays on the plow side. How are you going to unhook the control cables at the pump when you want to detatch the plow? I think your best bet would be to first change the oil and see if that improves operation, maybe flush it out. If that doesn't help, I'd disassemble the motor and pump and put a seal kit, and any new parts in it. Go through the motor as well and check for wear. It's something you can do in a couple evenings. Chances are it'll improve operation significantly.