1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow Problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Oasis, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Sorry guys, I know there probably is a thread somehwere that deals with similar problems but I cant really find one that answers my questions properly.

My Western Poly Pro Ultramount has been becoming rather slugish over the past few days and yesterday it lost all of its lift power. It angles left and right perfectly but it will only lift like 2 inches of the ground. Then it whines and screams and just hangs there.

I checked the fluid level and its full. The plow is new this year and of course being a sunday nobody is open.

Does anyone have any quick ideas as to waht the problem could be.

2. schuitb

schuitb Member

slow plow

I know you said that your plow is new this year but sounds like it could be frozen.. Did you first notice the slow hydro speed after a run down the highway or long drive?? Mine froze two days ago.. but has a few scuffs on the rams and im sure that it sucked in water and gooped up the system... Odd that you still can angle though...

3. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

ya and not only can it angle but it angles at full speed. no delay what soever. just absolutely no juice in lifting power.....
  4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

no go

have you noticed ant air or bubbly oil want to come out when you checked your oil ?
  5. doh

doh Senior Member

Just had 1 come back after delivering Friday, the pressure relief valve was set way to low.

It would swing but only lift 4" off the ground on it's own, while the pump spins freely.

On the back of the pump (closest to the truck) the bottom right hand (passenger side) hole, turned it in 1/2 turn with a slotted screwdriver.
  6. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

so i took the plow in to Walker Equipment on Monday and after waiting about 4 hours they said they fixed it. Well it does lift all the way now but it still wails and theres no power behind it. I can lift it if its free in the air but I cant stack snow with it. Its like the resistance of the snow restricts its movement.

Please...... any ideas?
  7. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

That's what my fisher does. It's really annoying as we always have wet heavy stuff if we get anything.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You need to make the shops actually install a pressure gage on them. Many shops wont take the time to do it, they'll simply turn the press relief in until it will lift it's own weight and send them out the door. Never checking the actual pressure.

I see so many Flostats and Insta-acts with the pressure set too low right out of the box...and shops never seem to check them, just assemble them and send them out..
  9. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I installed mine myself. How would I perform this?
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Page 80

If you find the pressue is low and turning in the relief valve doesn't bring it up, then pull the pump off the manifold and change the O-ring under it. Seen and heard of some with problems..