1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bucky Badger, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger Junior Member

Quick question. I've got a 7.5 pro plow...it seems to have a hard time turning to the left. It goes to the right just fine, but when I go to move it left, I almost have to move the joystick hard to the left a couple times before she does move at a decent speed...any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks
    Phil

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

This happened to my plow last winter, but I don't know if its related. There is a crimp connector in the wireing harness that connects all the grounds and transfers them back to the harness plug. well this had corroded away, and cased the solenoids to all ground through each other. The motor would run, but it sounded like it was straining. I cut back that wire lom stuff and replaced the ground connection, it now works great. I can't say thats the cause of your problem, but if you have recently changed the fluid and sock-filter, this would be the next thing to check.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

You say you have to push the joystick hard to the left to get it to move.If you have to push it that hard,maybe your joystick is bad.

Can you hear the solenoid clicking,or the motor running when your trying to move it left and it won't go ?

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

western plow with a problem?

thought they never had problems:confused: :confused:

cardoctor

5. Bucky Badger

I can hear it running, it's just that the blade moves very slow. When I move it hard to the left then it will move faster.

Thanks
    Phil

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Cardoctor, yup Western plows have their problems too I guess. Im dropping mine off later at the local snowplow place so they can work on it tomorrow morning. Its not raising properly. It raises about half way up, then goes real real slow and has this straining noise that does not sound good. It goes left and right fine and drops fine, but doesnt raise right. This is the very first problem the plow has had that it has to go in for service for, and its an 11 year old UniMount type plow. Not a bad track record at all in my oppinion. Mike :)

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well,it could be something in the valve body,like a sticking or dirty valve,or a tight angle cylinder.

I still find it funny that if you push harder on the joystick it works fine.The joystick is either on,or off.Are you talking about the small electric type joystick,or is it a cable operated one ? If it's cable,then it's most likely an adjustment.If not,try swapping in a known good joystick first to verify the operation.

8. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Slow Angling

Phil I take in your using a cable controlled joystick.
    How much play do you have when you move you lever back and forth before you feel any resistance?
    Was a very common problem with the brass threaded insert in the platten which the lever screws into in the controller working lose over time.
    If this is lose it will prevent you from getting the full movement of the cable causing slow angling in one or more directions.
    Let us know how you make out.
    :rolleyes: John.............

9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BUCK.............Just 1 question...........

Is your plow a newer elec. operated one or
    is it a older cable operated unit ?

EDIT: Darn, you guys beat me to it !

My old cable operated unit would do that once in
    a while......just a old cable needing some lube, maybe
    binding, adjustment, etc..............

My new Western Cab Command is sooooo slick!
    2 seasons and not a prob. yet !..........geo

Last edited: Oct 12, 2003
  10. Bucky Badger

Yep, it's a cable operated one. I just put it on and everything is moving, at first going to the left was ok, after moving it from side to side a couple times then she started to either not move or move super slow...I stepped on the gas a bit then she started moving after I moved the stick hard to the left. I'm going to check the cable adjustments tomorrow morning(gotta go to work in an hour), and see what that does...I know it's had a rough life and it wouldn't hurt to replace the A-frame. I'll have to do some shopping around for one. I've got a 130 amp alternator on there, but man o man, does it drop the voltmeter when you move the plow...I think I need to hook up a seperate meter and see how that works...

Thanks
    Phil

11. Bucky Badger

No, I haven't done any maintenance to it this year...I know I had a heck of time 2 winters ago with it having problems not wanting to move at all, or work fine then stop working altogether. The dealer I bought it from said to run kerosene through to flush it out and replace the strainer. I did that, seemed to help a lot...

Thanks
    Phil

12. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Phil also check your hydraulic couplers if the controller lever is tight, very posible that they are not opening all the way allowing good fluid flow in both dirrections.
    We still go thru plenty of couplers during the season do to poor flow.
    :rolleyes: John...........

13. Bucky Badger

Yep, checked those out this morning...everthing seemed to be moving like it should, not stiff or tight. Is it possible that the turning cylinders might be a concern? I replaced the femle couplers a couple winters ago, never did the males though...I'll doublecheck those...

Thanks
    Phil

14. Bucky Badger

Heh...well the cables on my plow only have a lockscrew that holds them in place on the pump. I adjusted the cable and she worked good. Ok, I thought, now lets see if I can slow the drop speed a bit so I'm not banging the plow. Well, I loosened the locknut on the back of the pump and turned the adjustment screw one way or the other...now I've got another headache....

Why do I do these things!!!! :)

Good thing I like to turn wrenches....

Later
    Phil

15. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

My plow is fixed! Im all set to go now fellas! :nod: Mike :drinkup:

16. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

what was the problem

cardoctor

17. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

The guy said the inside was very dirty with alot of crud build up and the screen was packed. They cleaned and flushed everything out, cleaned screen and blew it out with an air hose, flushed angle cylinders and filled with new fluid, put all new fluid in the pump and I told them to go ahead and put 2 new lines on also while it was there, the lines were only like $16 each. They also oiled everything that should be oiled and adjusted packing nut. Everything came out great, works like the day it was new, I hope it stays that way. Total bill with parts, labor, fluid and tax was $152 and some change. I was 100% satisfied, especially after seeing it work! Mike :waving:

18. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Mike, I am glad to hear that your Western plow is fixed! Now all we need is snow (not now, but as soon after leaves cleanups are all done) :D It probably would run better than ever since they did very throughly maintenance. ;)

19. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

You cant be more glad than me Steve. :D Just for the record, I was talking to John, GarageKeeper49, in an IM on Sunday telling him the problem I was having. He insisted on helping me over the phone to find the problem and correct it, but I turned him down on the offer, I had already made the appointment with the snowplow shop and besides, Sunday is my only day off, haha! He was correct also, what he said would be wrong with it, was exactly what they did to it. John really is a GREAT guy, he really goes out of his way for me anytime I need something or need a question answered when me and him are talking in IMs on AOL. Heres to my pal John! :drinkup: :drinkup: Mike