1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DanG, Feb 7, 2003.

1. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I started having a problem today with my smaller western uni- mount(all electric). thank goodness we didn't get any snow to speak of.

I also noticed something the last big storm too which i think might be tied in with what is going on now.It also won't hold the angle on it if you push into a large amount of snow(goes to full angle right)

It was working fine and the next minute it started doing the following.
    Plow goes up ok, angles right ok, but when you go to angle it left it goes right (slowly) also when you raise it sometimes it goes to the right when it is up all the way against the stops. Could it be bad relief/crossover valve?

I checked all the wires and they seem ok and the motor runs ok in all the modes just the plow acts weird is all. Fluid is also Ok.

Which leads me to belive it could be dirty/stuck solenoid possibly? Or bad o-ring? can you buy parts to repair them in the valve block ?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the plow is not holding in the angled position,it's usually the cushion valves causing the problem.Check and adjust those first.

If the blade will not go left,and goes slowly right instead,then I would check,and clean the 4 way valve,and check the coil there as well.You could try swapping coils with another first,and if the problem changes,then you have a bad coil.The 4 way valve is the lower one on the valve body.

Just double check and make sure your fluid is not icing up,and your grill connectors are in good shape,as that could cause it as well.

Parts are available separatly.If you need cushion valves,get the complete assy,western part #49138 for 1.The 4 way valve can usually be cleaned.
  3. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Thanks chris,
    I'll mess around with it tommorrow I looked on western's web site and printed out the manual for it so I have some idea of what to look for.