1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow Problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by smack1, Feb 1, 2005.

1. smack1

smack1 Junior Member

Ahhh the joys...

I just had my plow serviced, because it wasn't working - When I toggled the joystick (western unimount) I could hear the relay switching under the hood but no movement (or motor on) of plow... So, I bring it to the shop and the guy cleans everything and replaces filters/gaskets/fluid, etc... and it is working like a dream when I picked it up.

Now, a few days later, the only way I can make it move is by gently bumping it into a snow bank or dragging it around while using the joystick??? Any suggestions...?

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You might have a bad ground or your positive connection is not making proper contact. Where you plug in the main positive and negative connections at the front of your truck, try to spread the male part apart. They sometimes close from use. Check the ground on the pump motor and the ground under the hood. Clean these well and put grease on them.
  3. cowboyway37

cowboyway37 Junior Member

Check the ground up by the battery. also check you fluid I dont know how cold it gets where you are but you can have some moisture in your pump. I honestly feel that you have a ground problem. The one thing about the western unimount is if you have a ground problem the entire system will flicker so what you can do is at night open the hood and check your wires
    with the truck running and the lights on ...do think it is a ground.
  4. smack1

smack1 Junior Member

Thanks for the help!

Sorry this thank you took so long! Too busy plowing...

The problem was a ground as suggested. The long bolts that go through the pump motor act as a ground and were completely corroded. Took a while to narrow that down but once I did I was good to go.

Thanks again.