1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Michael338, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Michael338

Michael338 Junior Member

Hi all,

I have a ultra mount on a 2001 ford 350. Started using it and the plow motor got stuck on, I had to unplug from the truck to stop it. I replaced the relay under the hood and was told that should do it, it did not. Again when I started it up it worked fine, but when after a minute or so of testing the plow, the motor got stuck on again, any suggestions?? Thanks!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Either one of two things.
    1) the solenoid is bad again.
    2) something is shorting out the signal wire to one of the small posts.

When it happens again, have a test light handy and test the 2 small pins. One is ground and the other is your signal power. If your not commanding it, it shouldn't have power.

3. Michael338

Michael338 Junior Member

Thanks dieselss, Do you mean I may have got a bad new solenoid?
    When the pump is running, its screamin so I am not comfortable trying to test the posts as the pigtail is really warm from just 30 seconds of running.
    Is there another relay in the pump or under the dash?

4. dieselss

When it's running, if you unplug the big 2 pin plug it'll stop, and you should still be able to test the solenoid. Or have someone operating the controller and you could be at the ready at the solenoid. Or if it's in a good spot, just hook the test light up and watch it while your operating the controller.
    No, there is no other solenoid.
    Did you get a plow solenoid? 4 pin?

5. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

If this is a multiplex plow with the solenoid in the plow, I would suspect the plow module. Have had one fail in this manner before.

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

dont buy a cheap solenoid .make sure its a continuous duty. the cheap ones dont hold up

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

He said he replace the "relay" under the hood. If it was fleet flex what could he possibly change under the hood?

My assumption is that it's a older straight blade. How about more detail on plow?

By the best cell solenoid you can

8. Michael338

Michael338 Junior Member

Yes its an old straight blade.
    I have not had a chance to test the new solenoid yet, I guess that could be the problem, its just that it is failing in exactly the same way, I start it and it works fine for a minute or two while I test it then she gets stuck on, it would be odd for the old and new solenoid to fail in the same manner, no? I replaced it once before so I know it was the correct solenoid.
    The guy at the auto parts store said there is a plug-in relay under the dash, I have not had a chance to look for it yet, all I remember under the dash is an in-line fuse.
    Thanks

9. dieselss

Relay under the dash. Huh?
    Again what solenoid did you get? Never said.

10. Michael338

Michael338 Junior Member

Yes, he sold me the relay he says is under the dash, it is an actual Western plow plug in-line relay, but it may be for a newer style plow?

The solenoid was an aftermarket brand, can't remember the name brand, but yes I guess it would be called a 4 pin as it has 2 large and 2 small posts.
    I will have time to take another shot at the plow this afternoon.

11. dieselss

I'm thinking a picture of this under dash relay. And the solenoid under the hood as well.
    Was it a plow type solenoid or a "starter" type solenoid?

12. Michael338

Michael338 Junior Member

13. 1olddogtwo

To be clear....unless a hack installed plow, there is nothing, nothing under the DASH Ever Except maybe where the red wire is connected to a 12v point.

And the harness running under dash to controller.

Do the headlights work, if so, why u need that?

14. dieselss

No.clue why you need that 5 pin relay?
    Personally was never a fan of solenoid, not saying it's bad, just a little small IMO

15. Michael338

Michael338 Junior Member

Yes I'm sure the guy at the auto parts store does not know what he is talking about.
    The plow was professionally installed by Regional Trucking.

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Our original Western plows from the early 90's had that style relay to run the lighting only I believe. Do you have a module, if so you don't have a relay like that IMO.

17. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Is this an old plow? No three or four port modules? When it stays on ya gotta check the small terminals at the solenoid for current. Its probably not it, but did ya try a new controller?

18. 1olddogtwo

U in Chicagoland?

19. Michael338

Michael338 Junior Member

The plow was bought new in 2001
    I don't know what a 3 or 4 point module is.
    They want $325 for a new controller and I hate to buy one just to find out its not the problem, although thats the only thing that makes sense at this point, btw the controller is original as well. Can a bad controller cause the motor to lock on?

20. Michael338

Michael338 Junior Member

Yes west burbs of chicago