1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BR54912, Feb 5, 2013.

1. BR54912

BR54912 Junior Member
    from WV

Plowing this morning and plow worked fine went to another location and lowered plow made a pass and plow would not raise angle or anything. Solenoid was clicking, but motor did not turn so got back home took motor off and took to motor shop and they cleaned it up inside and bench run it and its fine. put motor back on and still nothing, any suggestions would be great It is a western unimount plow on a 99 dodge truck

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Let start with this

Check you grill connections (both) to make sure they are clean and making good connection.

Also check you controller connector (under the dash), pull it apart, then reconnect it to make sure it connection secure

Check your ground connections. Make sure they are clean and tight.

3. BR54912

BR54912 Junior Member
    from WV

Connections all seem good tried a different cab controller and still the same

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If that's all good then it's the solenoid....problem solved.

5. BR54912

BR54912 Junior Member
    from WV

will the solenoid still click like its working and still be bad

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Why does everyone thinks it always the solenoid when it comes to problem like this one. Were other times, it was the power cable (ground) creating the problem. or the secondary wires corroded. If you want to see if the solenoid, jump it out too see if it works. But keep in mind there are two other wires that connect to the solenoid that activates the solenoid to send power to the motor. Orn/black goes to the one side of the solenoid (and sometimes to ground on most vehicles). brn/red goes to the other side of the solenoid and activates the solenoid when selecting a position.

This link should bring to the western plow quick search. In the search box type this number in there 22373.

This is a good mechanical guide and it is PDF form. download it to your computer. It a good file to have. It will show you about everything. Also down load the owner manual for your plow. That will also help you

7. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Use a test light or volt meter and check for power to the pump if the pump has power but stil does not run make sure eyelets are clean had one do this also wiggle the 9 pin harness they are very touchy

8. Jeannie

Jeannie Junior Member
    from kansas

having the same problem, have checked all above and still not working. Going to replace solonoid, does it have to be a certain solonoid or will any automotive one work?

9. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Yes get one specifically for plows. I would also agree it is your solenoid. Take a screw driver and cross the big to terminals together and the motor should run. You may have to wriggle it back and forth on the terminals. Good luck.

I think most people think it is the solenoid because they are a commonly replaced part. They are also easy to test.

10. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

11. Jeannie

Jeannie Junior Member
    from kansas

ok got correct solonoid from western dealer put it on and works just fine tested it over and over, went to push a driveway out for a friend and as soon as blade hits ground it will turn right to left only up / down? when raised it will not go side to side anymore? is controller bad, filters on valves dirty? any ideas or anybody with same problem? i know we probably wont get much more snow to push this year but id like to put it up knowing its working for next season. thanks in advance

12. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Probably low on fluid. Is the motor running? When the plow is fully raised there is a lot of fluid in the lift ram and then not enough for angling. If it angles when on the ground then it should be just low fluid.

13. BlindViper

BlindViper Junior Member

I have a similar issue today I went to hook up and the plow has been covered for 2 years. I have 12 at the pump but it wont run. Even with a set of jump cables wont run the pump at all. Thoughts?

14. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Motor is either locked up or bad. Double check your grounds first. Try jumper cables power and ground direct from battery to the pump motor. If it doesn't run then the motor is bad.

15. BlindViper

BlindViper Junior Member

can i remove just the motor or does something need to be removed from the pump side?

16. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yes you can remove just the motor. What plow do you have?

17. BlindViper

BlindViper Junior Member

Its a steel MVP about as old as my truck.