1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Western plow problem raising and lowering

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 5brothers, Jan 18, 2009.

  1. 5brothers

    5brothers Junior Member
    Messages: 3

    I am in Illinois and is sure has been cold these last few days. My problem is that in this cold snap my Western has been having trouble raising and lowering. My questions - Is it only the cold that does this? Does anyone else have this problem, not just with a Western? And what do you do about it? Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
     
  2. no lead

    no lead PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,308

    check you filter for ice. when was last oil change?
     
  3. 5brothers

    5brothers Junior Member
    Messages: 3

    Western problem

    Nolead, thanks for speedy reply. All fluids checked on installation this fall. However I am wondering if others have this problem of pump raising and lowering and jumping slowly side to side. Is this a typical thing in cold weather?
     
  4. no lead

    no lead PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,308

    reread first post.
     
  5. augerandblade

    augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,054

    The only western I had cable control from under dash right to the motor into the pump body. If yours is like that check for ice in the housing, should be a plate with four screws holding it. The cable control is adjustable up/down should be a screw holding it in on the side. Anytime I have a plow problem I put it in a warm garage make my checks/ still nothing then I leave it to warm up. Sometimes it remedy itself GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
     
  6. SKYNYRD

    SKYNYRD Senior Member
    Messages: 420

    we've always had our cables freeze up at the pump until we took the plates off, packed them with new grease, put new gaskets on then the plates then as a final preventative measure we started putting a little bit of gasket sealer around where the cable enters the pump. haven't had any problems since and it's been a couple of winters now. i reallyw ish we had thought about that sooner lol