1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow problem... please help!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tommygun, Dec 17, 2015.

1. tommygun

tommygun Junior Member

I used my plow for the first time this season 3 or 4 days ago. Worked fine. It's a straight blade, 8 foot plow, about 12 years old. One thing I did find strange though was when the plow was up, the headlights on the truck would be on and only when the plow was lowered did the plow lights come on. Wasn't that dark, so I didn't fuss over it.

Then, I left for work and my wife called yesterday. She did a couple passes and upon lowering it, the plow won't budge. I got home today and managed to get it in the garage. Got the heat on. There was some really wet snow, followed by freezing temps, so one of my first thoughts was water got in where it wasn't supposed to and froze.

When I plug the multi prong plug in, the truck lights go out, but the plow lights do nothing. And the controller won't turn on. Unplugged, the controller will turn on. I'm not sure what's going on beyond this. I tried changing the solenoid cause I had a spare. And I cleaned up all connections good. Hydraulic fluid hasn't been changed. I did top it up though. Could that cause the issue?

I feel like it has something to do with that plug and/or the controller. Please help. The driveway has a foot of snow in it and I have to head back out of town in a couple days.

Thanks.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, start at the basics. What model western. Unimount, or ultramount?
    What's the battery connectors look like?

3. tommygun

tommygun Junior Member

Ultra mount. Battery connectors were pretty bad. I cleaned it all up and changed the connectors. With the multi prong plug unplugged, the controller turned on with the light on. Had the wife move the controller each way and the solenoid was clicking. So I turned the truck on and plugged in the harness to the plow and was excited to see the plow lights come on full bright for the first time since I started trouble shooting. So I asked my wife to try to raise it and right away, lights out and controller light out. Now the controller won't come on at all. To me it sounds electrical, but honestly I have no idea. I'm now afraid something has been shorted and the controller is toast. I never changed a thing from last year though so not sure why something would now short. However, my solenoid hook up doesn't look quite like the diagram that came with it, but like I said it worked all along in the past. I had a mechanic hook it all up for me.

4. tommygun

tommygun Junior Member

Also, not 100% sure on the model. It's 8' 6" though I believe and a straight blade. I bought it used off my old boss. I think it's about 10-12 years old.

5. lexington

lexington Junior Member

Ok I just had almost exact problem . Unplug all your plow plugs Look closely at your 11 pin light harness . With the truck ignition in acc position your control should light . Now turn your headlights on . Take a 12 volt test light ground the clip side ( Test the pos batt terminal to be sure it's working ) probe all the truck side 11 pins one by one . When you get to the bottom right ( 6 pins on top 5 on bottom ) that should be the ground for your ISO module . Look closely at the pin receptacles are any stretched or corroded . You may have to wiggle the tester to get it to ground , when it does you'll here your ISO module click and your truck headlights should switch to the 11 pin light harness . To check once you've found the ground and get it to switch over ( lights off ) take your tester and look for your headlights , parking lights and directionals in the 11 pin harness . Good luck I am learning just how frustrating plows are this week !

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic