1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow problem - please help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Kardos, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Kardos

Kardos Junior Member
    from Caledon

So I'm pretty new to this type of equipment and I cant seem to get the plow movin.

I bought a new solenoid and installed it, I hit the switch and it came up and now it wont move again.

I traced the switch connections and they seem fine.

The harness's lights are and the solenoid clicks when I hit the switch, so the solenoid has to be fine.

I'm at a standstill and theres snow in the forecast!

Please voice your opinion.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Bad solenoid, bad ground, orange/black wire to positive, bad motor, bad controller.
  3. Kardos

Kardos Junior Member
    from Caledon

the solenoid is brand new, I have moved the ground, the controller has power and causes the solenoid to click....
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

a new solenoid doent mean it is good

alot of bad "new" solenoids are out there
  5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

do you have power and ground at the motor? using jumper cables provide power and ground to the motor. does it run? if it does run use the control and see if it does all functions.

if it all works then your problem is solenoid or ground related.
  6. equip guy

equip guy Member

Like no lead said power up the electric motor, if the motor runs then your main motor is good, but you may want to check the lg dia wires from the motor to the batt and your truck ground, If when all hooked up you move the joystick and the motor runs, but no up, left or right, then your solonoid is good and you have a problem in the control circut. Those too have individual grounds and power sources. CHECK AND CLEAN ALL YOUR GROUNDS from the truck to the coils. Also apply dieelectric grease after cleaning to protect your newly clleaned areas, also ck your connector plugs for corrosion, Let us know, good luck