1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow prob

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mackinaw Bill, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Mackinaw Bill

Mackinaw Bill Junior Member

We have a 92 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4...with a western plow....(I talked my father in law into buying it :dizzy: ) The plow slams the ground when I put it down...
    and now its very slow moving up and slower moving right and left....I sure could use a way to fix it ....thanks..

2. apkole

apkole Member

I don't know anything about Western plows, but a couple of things come to mind:
    1. A poor ground to the pump motor or a pump motor which is dying.
    2. Poor solonoid contacts - won't carry enough current to operate plow motor
    3. Low fluid levels
    4. Plugged screen inside the pump

There should also be an adjustment screw on the outside of the plowcase someplace which would change the drop rate on the plow. You might want to try the western website for service info. If you are going to hang on to this unit, get ahold of a service manual.
    Good luck!

Andy

3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

To adjust the rate of drop for your plow you need to adjust the quill. This will regulate the drop rate of your plow. The other problems seem like they might be related to fluid level or water/debris in you fluid. I would flush the system and refill with new fluid. Does the plow motor seem to run strong but just lift and angle slow? Or does the plow motor seem to run hard and cause a big amp draw? BTW the quill adjustment is on the outside of the valve body box - just a little screwdriver adjustment (caution - watch your feet when adjusting this - you can adjust it so the plow slams down really hard = byebye feet/toes). Good luck. Let me know if you need more help.

4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Jason
    Maybe you can help me out as well with a question on my Ultra Mount Western the last storm my plow would just die for a few seconds and do nothing at all.I put a new solenoid on it this year before the season even started,maybe it bad? Fluid level is good.
    Thanks for any help I can get.

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

lux lawn
    check your plugs, scrape in there with a small screw driver or ice pick, ice can get under the caps and in the bottom under the grease, causes the plug to not bottom out that causes the plugs to loose contact intermittently, i had trouble with this last year. if thats not it check the junction block under the hood for a loose connector. also, if you have a ohm meter check that you have a good ground from the battery neg. to the pump motor (not the pump ground connector) well thats all my suggestions hope i helped good luck. :waving: :salute:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  6. Lux Lawn

Thanks for your help.
    I cleaned out the connections and will try that again to make sure they are super clean and it seems like the ground wire is tight.But I will check it all out again in daylight.thanks again.

7. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

It sounds like bad fluid and its most likely low. Once air gets in any hydraulic system your screwed. You can do damage to the pump trying to run a hydraulic system with air or bad fluid in the sytem. I wouldn't play with it to much change the fluid. You can get directions for your model plow on westerns web page. Check around the seal to see if the cylinders are leaking. If your mechanical the packings are very easy to change out. Just make sure you prime the system before you try to power it up or you could fry the pump.

8. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

be sure to use alot of the dialectric grease on the plugs as well

9. Mackinaw Bill

Mackinaw Bill Junior Member

It worked ok for the first snow we had...now its slow with a BIG amp drop...
    what fluid should I use...we had a Meyer (leaked bad) so I have a lot of meyer fluid...one guy said he puts ATF in his western plow....

10. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

I just changed my oil the other day. (unimount) The manual says to use Dextron III ATF. It took just under 2 quarts.

11. Lux Lawn

Not very mechanical but I am going to change the fluid hopefully that will do it.
    Thanks for your help.