1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow Owners!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowKid150, Nov 18, 2003.

1. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

ok guys, i have been trying pretty hard to get some replies on the western plows. I am seriously considering the 8foot western pro plow and i would really like some input on what i can expect from this piece of equipment. Any positve as well as negative comments about the plow would be greatly appeciated. Thanks a million and pray for snow!!!!

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I've got a 7.5' Pro. It's a great plow, I have ZERO complaints, this is my fourth year running this particular plow. My father and uncle have run Westerns since 1976, and still do today.
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with snowybowtie. I only use Western. They are great blades and great pump / electronics. Plus, the parts are so easy to come by as there are dealers everywhere. So far, I have only had to replce the 2 wire power cord due to corrosion. After 5 years of plowing with it, I think it has done well. I am buying a new 1 ton and an 8' pro in a few weeks. I can't waitpurplebou
  4. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Awesome guys!!! thanks for the speedy replies i can't wait to get some more to boost my Western Confidence. Anyways, keep em comin guys!:waving:
  5. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

I also have 2 Westerns and they have been great so far. No problems whatsoever. Definitely go with the Ultramount system instead of the Unimount, it is so much easier to hook up and go. Any other questions, just ask! Good luck, Mike
  6. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

8'0" Western Poly Pro Plow

western plow.jpg
  7. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Well I "WAS" a loyal Meyers man and I "MEAN" loyal. I have enough spare parts and plows to... well build a complete unit. Hint: that's the problem. We have 5 steel plows and 2 polys. Out of all 7 of those Meyers all 5 of the steels are all BENT. The 2 polys are as straight as an arrow. I was going to put a poly Meyer on my new 2003 Ford because I was told the poly's frames are beefier.
    Well after years of just doing it like all the others in the Washington D.C. metro area and spending countless hours on here we decided to bring down some technology form up north. This worked great with the snow pushers we helped introduce to the area. So when looking for plows I came across the Pro Plus.

Well all is said and done an I'll "NEVER" buy anything else for a while because "THIS IS A SNOW PLOW" not just a toy. Western has out done themselves this time.

8. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I have plowed with these for the past 18 years. I wouldn't have anything else! payup

9. chevy guy37

chevy guy37 Member

WESTERN is the plow to go with. I have 3 of them. Just bought one 4 weeks ago. Very dependable! Never had a problem yet with one! :nod: Thats all I have to say about that!
  10. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well if you like full trip plows western makes the best on the market.never had any problems with mine and the dealer support is out of this world:drinkup:
  11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i bought a 8ft western pro plow for a f350 crew cab really nice set up easy on and off :drinkup:
  12. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

I have used Western for a number of years as well, you can't go wrong. I haven't used a Ultramount, but all 3 of my Unimounts are top notch, no problems yet.
  13. chevy guy37

chevy guy37 Member

Nice truck sbrennan007!!!!!!!!:nod:
  14. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Pro Plus

Plowkid if you have the truck that will handle an 8' look at the "Pro Plus" as Heron Cove said.
    Western listened to what the "professional plower" was asking for and built a plow for the plowing contractor.
    This plow will take what it was designed for, "years of plowing".
    :rolleyes: John...............
  15. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

KID.........Same here......I got 10 HARD NY winters outta my
    old hard mount cable operated Western 7-6ft.
    It was moved onto 3 new
    GM trucks over the years ! Plow new in 1990 !!!!

My bud bought it from me and mounted it onto his 94
    Chevy and its still working after 3 years !

I am currently on my 3rd year with my 7-6 Ultra Mount
    on a 01 Chevy. Man that Cab Command controller is
    the NUTZ compared to cable operated !!
    This spring I will get a new 04 GM truck and swap it
    onto that one !

Never any problems except for a plow motor wearing
    out, a popped hose or 2, or 1 solenoid over the years !

But always have spares handy..Just in case!.........geo:drinkup:
  16. Plowkid

I have had my 8" Western Pro for 4 years now. I love my plow. I have about 20 residential drives.

The only thing I have had a problem with is the paint. I had it only 2 years and the paint started cracking at all the welds.

I wrote to Western and they wrote back....."Thanks for your comments about our plows....." and sent me a hat. I guess this was their way of taking care of the paint problem.

I have tried to keep the painted areas from rusting without it looking like crap, but almost impossible.
    But again, Good plow.
  17. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BOB V.............Hey if I recall.....there was a discussion
    here somewhere about bad welds on some models of
    Western plows...Thus paint cracking..........

There was also a thread on how Western changed its
    powder coat paint process also !

Do a search...cause I know its here somewhere........

My old Western the paint came off........But I just
    sandblasted the spots and used good old Alkyd Gloss
    Enamel and a brush and roller and it looked like new!

My Ultra is going into its 3rd season and paint is still
    nice.......But I do put it in the barn in summer !

EDIT: Bob I found 1 of them and brought it to the top.
    Check it out,,,,,,,,,,,
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  18. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

We have 8 Westerns. All 7-8 yrs old. Keep up the routine main. and painting every year. I think we'll move into the ultra's next year, but we love the ones we have.