1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow on f350

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jim koesters, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Jim koesters

Jim koesters Junior Member

I've got a 2013 f350 crew cab long box diesel pickup wanted to put a western 9.6 mvp3 plow on it thinking the truck was heavy enough for it but westerns quick match says not to put it on that truck. My snow accounts are a block from my shop so I don't drive around with the plow just hanging on my truck. Has any one had that big of plow on that type of truck and if so what kind of problems if any did they have. The truck has snow plow prep on it also

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's odd, it will allow you 9-6 MVP plus.

Run it the 3, I do with no problem.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  3. Jim koesters

I'm glad I didn't get the dually truck. Probably only allowed to put the 7.6 mvp3 on it. I think I will just put the 9.6 mvp3 on it and see what happens. I just like the looks of the mvp3s.

4. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

I run the MVP 3 on mine with wings. No problems.

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo (2).JPG

5. Jim koesters

Wow that looks good. My trucks a four door long box is the problem I guess. Is that a 9.6 plow?

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The mounts and electrical for the MVP3 are the same as for the new multiplex midweight. It will work but Western just doesn't recommend it. The worst thing is that you may have some premature wear on your front end and you might need some Timberins or something to beef up the front end.

7. Jim koesters

What the difference in plows if I switch to boss (I wouldn't) there plow match says I can put what were I want on that truck all the way up to a 9.2 Dx stain less steel plow. I love my western plows even through boss dealer is close to my shop. I've been running the same western since 93 there just good plows

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Put whatever plow you want on your truck and you'll be just fine. Maybe add timbrens to the front for some cheap insurance. I have a thousand pound plow hanging off the front of my 2500 and haven't had any problems.

9. mishnick

There is little difference between boss and western, they are both good plows. I prefer western because they are easier to couple up to. Boss has what I call knife edge mounts so you really need a second person to get the mounts lined up. Western has wide receivers so, with a bit of practice, one person can drive right in to it first time. Also, boss has the power hitch, nice when it works but a pain if you loose power or your pump fails. You can't (easily) mount or dismount. With western you can couple and uncouple even if the pump is dead. You can also easily jack up the blade and high chain it for dead head transport to the shop.

10. Yates004

Yates004 Member

Boss is a very nice plow but like he mentioned, the ability to drive your plow into a snow bank and high chain it up, if you blow a line, lose your pump etc is a nice very feature.

11. Jim koesters

I got the plow ordered. They were out of the 9.6 MVP3 in steel so they made me deal on one in stainless steel just $200 more for the stainless steel I didn't think that was bad. Can't wait to get it on the truck. Now it won't snow a bit

12. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

Do you have the plow prep kit on it? That is going to add 800# to the fgvw.

For instance my brand new truck did not have the snow plow prep, if you look at the door label the front springs are 5200# i believe. using the quick match and these springs wouldnt allow me to put one on or so they say. Im getting 6000# springs (same size the snow plow prep comes with) and using those I can use any plow western offers.

13. JustJeff

Read his post! It says snow plow prep package.

14. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

Whoops, looks like I got ahead of myself.

I can't see a problem using that then...

15. Polarismalibu

Polarismalibu PlowSite Fanatic

The stainless looks sweet! Way better then the steel anyway

16. Jim koesters

Mvp3 trouble

We'll I got the new 9.6 mvp3 mounted on my f350 both wings worked one time and now the drivers side wing will only go out it try's to go back in but won't. If I pull on wing wile I hold the button down it will come in. The other wing and the up and down work fine. I've tryed bleeding any air out of it also. Any help would be great. I kind of don't want to go to my local dealer because it didn't buy it there he will just tell me were to go I think. Thanks

17. JustJeff

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they self-bleeding?

18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No they are not....Still gotta remove the fill plug....slowly!

19. mishnick

The rams and hoses do self bleed back to the reservoir. When you break a hose or replace a cylinder and let air in all you need to do is repair the leak and run the unit through all the functions to get the air to settle out into the reservoir.

When I build a new plow, or replace a hose or ram, I fill it and run it three times topping up the reservoir after each running. The air pressure in the reservoir, when you pull the plug, has nothing to do with bleeding. This pressure is normal and good.

The filler cap on Westerns has a 5 psi relief valve built in. You will notice, if you try to blow through it, that you cannot. If you can blow through it toss it and buy a new one.

The blue fluid used in Westerns is aircraft hydraulic fluid. it's cooked chemically at the refinery to give it give it stable viscosity through a wide range of temperatures. This cooking makes it a desiccant which means it absorbs moisture out of the air. You know that water in your fluid is bad right.... So Western installed the grey plastic 5 psi filler plugs to stop the reservoir from actually breathing to reduce the amount of moisture absorbed by the fluid.

So what happens is the reservoir will take in air if it goes below atmospheric pressure but will not vent out until it exceeds 5 psi. The resulting effect is that the air trapped in the top of the reservoir is compressed and decompressed like a balloon or "bladder" but it doesn't actually breath. So... when you use your plow it will create five pounds of pressure and that is why the cap releases pressure when you open it, kinda like opening a carbonated drink. This has nothing to do with bleeding the air out of the rams and hoses. When air bleeds out of the rams and hoses the fluid level in the reservoir drops because fluid takes the place of the air that WAS in the hoses and rams.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  20. Jim koesters

Well it's not air in the lines. They have me checking everything. Checking valves, cleaning valves, changing controllers and still not working. One of my subs got a new mvp3 steel and we got it almost all together today so I put it on my truck just to see if my truck was wired rite and it worked fine on it. Sucks got a top of the line western plow and it won't work. The last snow a brake line rusted a hole in it on my old 1993 with a 8ft pro plow on it I guess I better fix it. I no what's wrong with it. Starting to think maybe I should have got the snowdogg plow.