1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow not working right

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by progmc, Oct 12, 2004.

1. progmc

progmc Member

Hello all this is my first post so we will see how it goes. Well I have a 1987 dakota with a 6 1/2 foot western plow on it. When I go to lift it it will not go up all the way. It does go side to side good. If I have some one sit in the truck and lift it, and I lift on the plow a little then it will go up all the way. I just replaced the fluid and also cleaned the screen. I was told to use dextron 3 tranny fluid is this correct. Im kinda new at working on plows so not sure what could be wrong. Thanks for any help you may have.
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Sounds like you have a weak pump to me...
  3. progmc

progmc Member

Can they be rebuilt or do you have to buy a new one? Also if they can be rebuilt whats the normal price to have some one do it. And whats a price on a new one. thanks for the help.
  4. WeatherMan

WeatherMan Junior Member

They are simple to rebuild The part you would need is the pump itself it cost $119.00 at Jthomas

Just bought a new pump today

Before you do this check to see if your battery is fully charged, Try giving the engine alot of gas as you try to lift the blade. pumpkin:
  5. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

:redbounce, sounds like your packing nut on your lift cylinder is to tight.
  6. jscott

jscott Junior Member

Got enough fluid in the reservoir?
  7. progmc

progmc Member

Whats a packing nut? And also how full do you guys fill yours? Is it all the way till you cant put any more in. thanks again everyone

JKOOPERS Senior Member

i wouldnt recommend using tranny fluid . it will free freeze faster than hydro fluid . you might even try bleeding the whole system since you just changed the fluid .
  9. progmc

progmc Member

Like I said Im new to working on plows, how do you bleed the system on this. Also one guy told me that he adds a cup of antifreeze to his dextron 3. To me that dont sound like it would be good for the pump. Any ways thanks for the advice all.
  10. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I've never had ATF freeze up in my vehicles, its not going to freeze up in the plow pump as long as it is fresh and has no water in it.
    I bought a gallon of hydraulic oil this season and decided not to use it. It was thicker than the ATF so I'm thinking it will work slower when cold.

What kind of pump do you have? Cable operated or solenoid?

Check your electrical connections also. If the pump can't spin fast enough it won't build pressure to lift the plow. Is the charging system in excellent condition?? A weak battery will cause all kinds of grief.

Keep us posted of your findings,
    Mark K