1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow needs cleaning after every plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Kellyodo, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Kellyodo

Kellyodo Junior Member

I have 2 Western 10" straight plows and both of them have the same issue. About 1/2 the way through a plow night the screens on both plows plug up and while on the job we have to change the fluid and clean the screens to finish, I believe the packing from the cylinders is doing this. Is there something else that can be used in place of the packing?

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Pull the packing and rams. Cleanup the cases and install new rams and packings if rams are in bad shape.

3. Kellyodo

Kellyodo Junior Member

Tried this.

Last year when we were having this problem we did pull the rams and repacked them but after about the third plow it started happening again. We didn't replace the rams because they didn't look damaged. These plows are electric plows, on the one 10' we have with central hydraulics this is not a problem. Could this be due to the larger filter we have on the central hydraulic plow? What could cause the packing to be damaged?

4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You have something internally that is causing the debris. You have to figure out what it is? Why do you think it's packing?

5. Kellyodo

Kellyodo Junior Member

Tried this.

Last year when we were having this problem we did pull the rams and repacked them but after about the third plow it started happening again. We didn't replace the rams because they didn't look damaged. These plows are electric plows, on the one 10' we have with central hydraulics this is not a problem. Could this be due to the larger filter we have on the central hydraulic plow? What could cause the packing to be damaged?

6. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Screens plugging with debris or ice?

If ice and you're flushing completely (including hoses etc) then you've got water coming in and you're probably right to check the packings, is all chrome in very good shape? Are you sure they're tight enough?

If debris you need to take stuff apart and clean and find source.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok question. How do you know that the filters are plugging up? What's the symptoms?

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

If its packing debris then more often than not you have a bent cylinder. Repack them all you want it'll keep happening till you replace the cylinder shaft.

9. Kellyodo

Kellyodo Junior Member

screen plugging up

The plow about 2-3 hours into a plow starts to slow down considerably to the point that it just runs and doesn't move at all. When we drain the fluid and pull the screen off the pump it is completely plugged with what looks like packing.

10. dieselss

Yea you gotta ck all your cylinders for pitting and straight. Have you pulled the pump completly apart and looked at the gears?
    Either something is getting in or the seals are deteriorating. When you change the fluid, what does it look like outta the angle cylinders?

11. snoboss

snoboss Member

I have the same problem with my unimounts and I believe it is caused by the pivot bolt and quadrant excessive wear causing the rams to hit the ends of there travel which seems to plug the filters with packing fiber. also have some freeze up with ice crystals that I think enters the system from pits on the hydraulic rams.

12. Kellyodo

Kellyodo Junior Member

Is there a fix for this problem?

13. dieselss

Have you done what was suggested yet

14. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I had a similar issue, although it didn't turn out to be packing material. It was the hoses disintegrating internally. When I took a hose off, and slit it, the interior surface was damaged and it appeared that pieces were falling off and going through the pump. Might be a good idea to check the rams for true-ness (as others have suggested), and / or replace any of the rubber parts, such as the hoses. Rams and hoses are so cheap, it's worth it to change them out every couple of years or so, during an annual fluid change.

15. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

My plow did this last season, the filter had metal shavings and packing on it. I remembered seeing fluid spurt out when I hit a curb, The packing on the angle cylinders was in pretty bad shape. I replaced both the rams for like $70 a piece. I've ran it multiple times in the driveway trying to replicate the issue, so far it hasn't gave me any issues. I'm sure if it is going to act up it will be at 3am when its cold and snowing