1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow mounting experts, Help!

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by beemrmax, Oct 25, 2009.

1. beemrmax

beemrmax Junior Member

Hi there,

Taking about a 20 year old 8' 6" Western Pro Plow from one old Dodge ('63 2WD), and mounting it on a '70 W300 1Ton 4x4.

The 4x4 is quite a bit taller than the old truck it came off of.

Couple questions, hope to hear back quickly, the mounts supports are being fabricated at a shop in the morning and this just dawned on me...

The distance between the bottom pump mount and upper pump/arm mount, should is stay the same as it was on the other truck (my thinking) or get moved for any reason?

The bottom of the mount, where the plow A Arm Quick Release Pins undo, how high should it be from the ground, is there any set rule here? Or should it just be as close to the bottom of the bumper as possible?

If it's as close to the bottom of the bumper as possible (and this truck is higher), and the distance between the top/bottom pump mounts stay the same, how could this affect the plow.

Obviously, the down angle of the A Arm when the blade is all the way down is going to be greater, is this an issue? What's the ideal angle for the A Arm with the blade down?

The distance between the pump upper and lower mounts, is this a set thing? There's a whole row of bolt holes on each side for adjustability, why? It seems like the cylinder can do the most lifting when using the shortest distance between the mounts.

Lastly, the push bars…

I mounted the big brackets to the frame, as far back as possible, up against the fron of the shock mounts (just like on the other truck), but in order to clear the big spring shackles on the 4x4, the pushbar arms are on the outside of the brackets, a distance of about 40". The outside bolting distance at the bottom of the mount under the bumper is only 36" so the arms are not straight at all, but have quite an inward angle to them (which I don't like) but the guy doing the welding for me says "he doesn't see where that's gonna make any difference). To me is seems like it's going to push outward on the frame rails, instead of just pushing straight back. I'm probably being too anal about this? Are those arms supposed to be reasonably perpendicular to the frame going back, does it matter all that much?

Can really use some help help here, I want to get this right the first time. The plow worked awesome on the other truck, and I don't have that much time left to get it done, install the cables, do the lights, and hopefully still have time to service the plow.

I do everything outside, and it's not getting any nicer, day by day.

Thx MUCH in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member