1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow malfunction.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MNATWRK, Dec 28, 2005.

1. MNATWRK

MNATWRK Junior Member

First off I like to say this is a awsome site! My problem is that I have a fairly new western polyplow on my 2003 2500hd silverado and the damn thing aint working right. I have taken it two mechanics and they all say something diff. The issu is the hydraulics. When I push left it goes up but it doent stay up and while plowing it automatically shuts itself off. If I drop the plow down it starts to work again. It all started when my employee put fluid in through the breather cap and not the filler cap. None the mechanics could really tell me what was wrong which made me suspect that really didnt know. The only thing I noticed was that when you look through the actual filler hole I could see the suction filter moving freely in the bottom the asembly. Anyone got any ideas as that I ma have to fix it myself. Thanks, Robert.:cry: :realmad: :dizzy: :waving:

2. ght1098

ght1098 Member

This is an ultra mount correct? 1st put the right type and amount of oil in the unit, then check the connector plug from the plow to the truck for damaged/corroded pins. If not go to Westerns website and download the repair manual. Good luck.

3. MNATWRK

MNATWRK Junior Member

Thanks for your reply. I already did thata nd I even paid a supposed profesional $350.00 but its still a no go. Yes it is ultra mount. This is the second Western I have owned and I am not very happy with them. The first rotted out in the first year (it was cleaned after every snow) and it never really worked as well as my other ones. I now only buy Boss plows and they work great. But if anyone knows what I am going through please help me out. I hate to git rid of a fairly new plow.

4. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

the earlier ultra-mounts had a problem w/the filter tube staying pressed into the pump. western has an update bolt on bracket that holds the filter inlet tube in place.
    it will take 15 minutes to fix. any problems reply. back,plowtech
    :)

http://www.westernplows.com/pdfs/28511_010504.pdf

5. MNATWRK

MNATWRK Junior Member

Cool I will see if the previous mechanic fixed the filter but would that have anything to do with the way it operates? I hope that it is that simple. Thanks for your reply. Now I will pray for snow.

6. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

i can in some ways,it depends on how much fluid is in reservoir,and how many air bubbles are in fluid. kinda like when your a kid blowing bubbles in the milk thru the straw. good luck,PT:)