1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow lift problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EJK2352, Mar 13, 2003.

1. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I was driving home this evening and all of a sudden my plow just dropped to the ground. It's a Western cable operated lift and I thought maybe I bumped the lift lever, but I didn't. I got out of the truck to look and found oil pouring out the bottom of the lift. I chained the plow up and drove it home. Any ideas?? I don't see any cracks in the bottom of the lift and the drain plug is in tight. :confused: ED

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My fisher/westerns have a base lug under the powerpack,they are held on by 2 5/16" bolts,and an o oring.This base lug is place hwere the powerpack is mounted to the plow frame. if you hit something hard enough,this base lug will break.Mine started to leak on me, the base lug loosened up,i replaced the o ring and all was well.

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

just as John said,

i have also seen those base lug o ring's go bad, but my old cable operated western does'nt have one thats removable.

my newer uni-mount does.

i would say just clean up the fluid, refill it and see where it leaks from.

hopefully it's the o-ring

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Thanks guys. Turned out to be a leaking O-ring on the base lug. I went to the Western dealer this A.M.. He said its a common problem. I replaced the lug and O-ring and the problem is fixed. :) ;) :) ED

5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

glad to hear you got it fixed!