1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow leaking

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wolfmanah, Dec 21, 2003.

1. wolfmanah

wolfmanah Junior Member

This might sound like a dumb question and I know its a dumb question but,

I was doing some light touch up work in the lot today (clearing the slush before it freezes)
    I hit a curb hard. There are no visible bends anywhere. But it apears I'm leaking from the back of the passenger side ram or hose at the ram. I would have looked closer but it was getting kinda dark. So I parked it and took one of the cars home.

What is most likely leaking down there?
    Could the ram leak from the back somewhere?
    If I blew a ram, any idea what they cost to replace? Or can the interal o-rings be replaced?

I'll be looking at it tomorrow to find the leak. I figure some input would be helpfull from those that have had this happen before.
  2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Most likely you just broke a hose and the fluid is running down to the fitting. I would check that 1st, then the fitting, then the ram. Make sure that if you replace the hose you run the plow a bit to get the fluid circulating, then add fluid to fill the rams and hoses.
  3. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Wipe the area ( hose & fitting ) with a clean cloth and then have someone operate the plow to get the fluid moving. CAUTION !!! do not stand near plow while it is moving !!! :nono: Lock out the controls and check to see if you can see where the fluid is now coming from.
  4. wolfmanah

wolfmanah Junior Member

Well before I even got in to the shop today my co worker already found my leak. It turned out to be the driver side hose. It was not routed through the bracket for the hose to run safely. I never noticed it cause it was all working. [​IMG] I know I deserve a beating for not looking it over before using it.

It had been rubbing every time I raise the plow up and binding against the chain and over the last few years, I just never noticed it. And the sudden jerk was enough to blow the weak line. But I managed to get by cheap. I got a hose made up from a truck service shop that makes their own hoses. They do a lot of them car carriers. When we get the billing on it, I'll post the exact dollar amount.

We're guessing anywhere from $20 - $30 range. Best part is, we're quietly getting the company to pay for it. They won't even question it. And if they do we'll just tell them it was for a wheelchair lift.