1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow Issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cwlc, Aug 17, 2009.

1. cwlc

cwlc Junior Member

I have a Western 7.5' strait plow that is giving me all sorts of headaches. In the spring I cleaned it up and put it away, upon putting it away I blew a hydrolic line for the right and left movements. I didnt fix it right away but when I did I put two new lines in and now when I hook it up I cant get the plow to do anything. When I turn the power on to the plow and hit the buttons all I get is a clicking noise. The motor doesnt seem to make any type of whining sounds like it is pushing any fluid. After it sat for awhile I unplugged the power cord with all of the small pins inside of it and left the two prong wire still plugged in. That afternoon, I came to my shed and found it filled with smoke. I found one of the new hydrolic lines blown. If anyone can tell me what is going on I would really appreciate it.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have a poor ground connection between the pump motor and the battery. Which is also the reason it continues to "blow" the hoses. It's not actually blowing them due to pressure, it's melting them due to the motor searching for a ground path back to the battery due to you're poor connection somewhere. The hoses have steel braiding in them and WILL conduct electricity. Go over all the electrical connections with a fine toothed comb and install a fresh underhood solenoid just as good measure too.

And be thankful it didn't burn to the ground. :nod:
  3. cwlc

cwlc Junior Member

Thank you very much, I will try that out.