1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow identification

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bc81bc, Dec 6, 2010.

1. bc81bc

bc81bc Junior Member

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It's a Western Unimount.............the one in the pic is a Standard

3. bc81bc

bc81bc Junior Member

wow that was quick.....how old are those plows?

4. bc81bc

bc81bc Junior Member

What do you mean by a standard?

5. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

By standard he means a non-"Pro-Plow", which are far more common, especially in the commercial sector. The difference is the number of ribs (typically 7 vs. 4 on that size plow), the trip springs (2 vs. 3) and the lack of shock absorber to accompany the trip springs.

IIRC, the uni-mounts were built from the early 90's until 2 or 3 years ago.

I wouldn't be too concerned with buying a plow like that, as the parts are still readily available, at least around here.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Last one was the 50th anniversary.........02/03 season. They started in the early 90's. There are a few different ones, easiest way to check is by the # of springs. 2 means lighter duty, "standard"........3 is the earlier heavier duty ones known as "pro" also including a shock absorber, and then later they started putting 4 springs on pro's with a shock as well. There are lighter ones too....LSX, Sport Utility, Suburbanite, and heavier ones like the Heavy Weight, but typically regular trucks use Std's or pro's.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Haha I must have been typing when jomama posted

8. bc81bc

bc81bc Junior Member

Alright mine has 7 ribs,3springs and a shock so it's a unimount pro.
    Thanks alot guys

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Anytime....................

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

I think you mean 12 or 13 years ago.

11. rtfm17

rtfm17 Junior Member
    from NY

Need help identifying this plow

Hi All,

Hoping one of you experts would be willing to help. I've been searching all over trying to identify this plow. It's a Western. 7-6". Has a nice paint job and no labels or marks I can find. Any thoughts? I'd be grateful for any advice! Thanks!!

2014-07-09_18-27-41_593.jpg

12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It's an old cable western.
    Outdated IMO
    Hard to find a truckside mount for it

13. rtfm17

rtfm17 Junior Member
    from NY

Many thanks dieselss!

It came with a Bronco I picked up. Someone had done some interesting cutting & welding to to a Fisher truck side mount, unfortunately not a very good job. Guess luck is on my side- I just located a Western mount in good shape.

14. dieselss

A conventional mount right?

15. rtfm17

rtfm17 Junior Member
    from NY

Yes. It's the older type that goes behind the bumper. I found a Western dealer who had one sitting around.

16. dieselss

Interesting.........

17. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll have to get a pic up when the weather is better, but what Western has 4 springs,4 ribs, no shocks, and a joystick controller? 8' straight blade. Assuming Ultra or Unimount by the headlights.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  18. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Pic of plow, since it wont let me edit my last post.
    [​IMG]

19. dieselss

need better pics, but Im saying its not a western. kinda looks like a hodgepodge mess

20. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the blade strongly resembles a western, but there are some minor things that are different - the steel plate where the top of the springs bolt, there should be 7 vertical ribs and the picture only shows 6, and each vertical rib has an angled cut at the top. as a reference, the picture above in post 11 is 100% western.

the quadrent and A frame are not western, or at least nothing western has put out in the last 30 years. i know way back when, monarch (who makes all sorts of hydrualic pumps) sold a plow that closely resembled a western. maybe this is a monarch unit?