1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow hyd. prob

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Porcupine, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Porcupine

Porcupine Junior Member

I have a Western plow with hyd. prob. I used it for about three hrs. Then plow would not lower or swing right. cleaned connectors etc. Removed cartridges and checked soloniods etc. Cleaned them up. changed oil and cleaned filter. Now plow will only turn left. This is when power is directly applied to motor and each soloniod and when connect to vehicle. The only thing I did not do is remove manifold . Can anyone help. Of couerse it only breaks when it -20 and snowing.
  2. 91sonomaplow

91sonomaplow Junior Member

What type of control do you have? If its the older style control stick with the cables it may be bad seals on the cable/acuator cover on the pump assembly had that problem a lot on the army plows in Alaska, snow melts and enters and then freezes the pawls and cables inside the connection housing
  3. classicman

classicman Member

One of the best diagnostic tools in sub-zero temps is HOT H2o. Make sure you dump more than you think it would take to thaw it out, and don't just dump on everything at once if you want to isolate the problem. Beats the heck out of turning wrenches when you're freezzin' your a** off.
  4. Porcupine

Porcupine Junior Member

western hyd

The plow is unimount late 90's model. Does not use cables. Plow is in heated garage. I have removed and tested all cartridges. The S1 cartridges does not seem to be moving when 12v applied. Would this cause the plow to only turn left. this is when independant power is applied directly to each solonoid and pump.
    From looking at the Hyd schematic I don't think it should but I am not sure.
  5. talsum

talsum Junior Member

I realize I am responding to a year old post but when I had a Western (purchased in 1999) I had the same problems. Every time it happened I would clean the valves. It would work for a while and then happen again. Drove me nuts. I finally took it to a dealer (who knew his stuff) and he replaced a defective wiring harness. Never happened again.