1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow help!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ks2k, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Ks2k

Ks2k Junior Member

Hey guys, here's the problem..I went to raise the plow and the volt meter in the truck dropped to 9 from 14 all the lights dimmed and the plow won't move just clicks..I was thinking alternator or the relay is bad, any thoughts??..I'm in nj supposed to get a good storm tommorow just my luck...Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe plow motor.
    Need to check voltages throughout the system

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

go to your dealer they can check it fix it

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Snows around the corner. You have no time to experiment with it. Take it to a repair shop a and get it repaired.

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

x3... If the snow is around the corner, the terminology you chose tells us we most likely don't have the time to walk you threw the logistics of figuring this out.

6. Randall Ave

Where in Jersey are you?

7. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

I'm putting my money on yr alternator, battery, or both.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Coming from the guy who can't grease his plow.....

9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Not to be another tool in the plowsite shed, but I just love all these "help" threads at the last minute before the so called "storm". Not for nothing, but this stuff should have been done in October or earlier with a full service on your pumps and cylinders, going over every nut, bolt. grease fitting etc. I also check all my pressures after I get everything back together. You do however get a half of a pass if you just acquired the plow. Albeit, still a little late.

10. Philbilly2

[​IMG]

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's crisis management.

But watch out,
    Someone will flag this and say we are shaming them and throw a fit.
    This will result in our posts being deleted as olddogs and mine were yesterday
    For basicaly saying the samething you are.

12. Philbilly2

I always miss the good stuff...

13. Randall Ave

Ya no, you say what I'm thinking a lot of times!

14. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

Hey now! :mechanic:

15. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

Allow me re-quote for those who don't pay attention ;) This one's on me. :drinkup:

16. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Get your battery checked. It is not unusual for the battery voltage to go down to 9 volts when operating a plow. Especially when raising the plow. A battery with poor or refused reserve capacity can cause the same problem you are experiencing. I don't care if you bought a new battery last year. Get it checked.

17. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

put jumper from battery to pump motor, see if motor will run. if so junk solenoid, bad ground , even with a week battery it should still move plow, plow should move without motor even running .bad connections ,could be a lot of stuff .if you have no experience with plows take it somewhere to get fixed or you re going to loose out