1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow help needed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tecate1987, Nov 15, 2010.

1. tecate1987

tecate1987 Junior Member
    from pa

got western plow short time ago, not knowing if working or not. I got it mounted, goes up and down fine.Power angle does not work right.
    If I have the cable over-adjusted to go left it goes left fine
    same for right angle if over-adjusted for right angle.
    I just cant get a happy medium to make it work both ways.
    I hear the motor run when it dont angle,
    I have new quick connects, new angle cable.
    Any ideas as to what to do or look for???
    I have tried and tried adjusting cable but no luck. I am pretty mechanical but somewhat new to plows.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

there is a groove in the cable that the set screw grips. make sure that is set right first. then slowly adjust to find the sweet spot.

3. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

x2 the adjustment is very very sensitive. What I did was turned it all the way to one side (left or right) then just slowly turned in the smallest of increments and eventually you will find the "sweet spot" Good luck

4. tecate1987

tecate1987 Junior Member
    from pa

thx for replies,
    this is what I did, I still cant get it there. It just seems to shift from going one way to going the other but not back.
    sometimes it will stop going both ways

5. tecate1987

tecate1987 Junior Member
    from pa

still dont work,

I changed fluid, cleaned filter cause one I bought didnt fit.

When I try to angle sometimes it will try to lift the plow.
    If I have someone move the controller, I can move the linkage a little bit more the plow will angle,

6. ttrash91

ttrash91 Junior Member

i cant see to find my sweet spot either, i have adjusted and adjusted....what is weird is when i have the plow down it angles fine....when i have the plow up it doesn't angle worth a crap...very slow if at all

please help before snow falls!!!!!

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You need to rebuild the joystick I think....My buddies does the same thing! Do this, jump in and operate it, now twist the handle like your unscrewing it (give it 3 or 4 turns), it will operate fine one way and not the other....then screw it back in all the way in the opposite direction, now it will work perfect going the other way. Stupid I know, but it works. He has been living with it like this for 2 years now.

8. tecate1987

tecate1987 Junior Member
    from pa

might be heading somewhere,

I had already opened up the holes by grinding them longer so the lever goes further.
    Now I unscrewed the handle like u said and it did seem to work some , it almost works with being unscrewed both ways. Slow to the right side, which is prob adjustment at this point.

what does it take to rebuilt the controller?

9. tecate1987

tecate1987 Junior Member
    from pa

this seems to be working, I unscrewed the handle and it works both ways. I had to adjust cable slightly once I did this. THANKS

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Sorry, I didn't see this until now.

You can buy the board with the springs and everything included....they're around $130 - $160

11. updpwmech

updpwmech Junior Member

rebuilding the controller is a pretty simple matter. not much to those things. mostly be sure to adjust the contacts inside to trigger the motor. they can be a little tricky to click back together and keepo the cable ends where theyre supposed to be, but with a pick and a thin screwdriver and a few seconds of patience theyll go pretty smoothly. also ive taken the spring out of the inside of the controller, worked much more to my liking that way, but that was just my personal preference.

12. ttrash91

ttrash91 Junior Member

i figured mine out, make sure you are using the correct fill hole, the one on the side its about an 12 mm wrench, NOT the 22 mm nut on the back, this is for some kind of pressure thing...do not adjust or it will be way off, make sure your fluid is full when plow is completly down . put blade down and angle side to side to get air out...mine works like a dream now

sweet!!!! bring on the snow:gunsfiring:

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

Alrighty then.....that was way out in left field.

14. tecate1987

tecate1987 Junior Member
    from pa

I guess what I don't understand is why it works now with handle unscrewed. The pump motor would run before just the blade wouldn't angle. If I was adjustng the cable for the sweet spot it wouldn't go either way when it seemed like it should have been the sweet spot.

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

Their is adjustment more or less in the controller as well. If the ball joint is bound up, or the springs for that matter....it's not going to operate the cable as it should. The motor will work regardless of the cables position as it is controlled separately, once the control moves, it hits a plate which tells the motor to turn on.....but without the cables directing the valves to open or close, your not going to see any action. The issue isn't the cables as much as it is the way the cables are being directed....You would have to pull it apart to know exactly what I mean. Once you have it opened up, and you see for yourself how it operates.....the light bulb will come on.

16. tecate1987

tecate1987 Junior Member
    from pa

Ok. Somewhat understand. I had it apart numerous times thru this ordeal. I did longate the holes on the sides for the angle. Is this basically doing the same by unscrewing he handle some? What u said about cable not moving far enough is what I was seeing under the little cover on the pump cause I could move it a little further by hand with someone running controller and it would work