1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow Height Issues?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by plowwesternn, Dec 13, 2013.

1. plowwesternn

plowwesternn Junior Member
    from Wisc.

I've searched here and found some info, but not exactly for what I'm looking for help with. Any ideas?

I have a 7.5' Western Poly Pro that I can't get to raise more than about 5 inches off the ground. Based on my experience with other plows, and what I've read here, that seems way too low. This plow and truck are new to me this year, so I'm just finding this out. 2001 Chevy 2500HD.

I made some chain adjustments, and got it to about 7 or 8 inches. But then when I drop it to float on level ground, the chain is just about tight with no extra play at all for dips and slopes, also not good, so it put back to where it was.

From what I can see, the A frame is hitting on the round bar of the lower lift frame, and stopping it from going any higher. And from what I can tell from the install manual, it's set up in Configuration 1, and there is no stacking stop installed.

Also, when lowered to the ground on level ground, the A frame is slightly higher on the plow side, maybe 2-3 inches. Plenty of weight in the back and timbrens in the front.

Anybody seen this before, or have any ideas to fix it?

Thanks a ton.

2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

This seems to be a recurring theme with western plows this year.

2-3 inches is not "slightly". That is HUGELY off.
    A-frame should be 0-1 inches higher ON THE TRUCK SIDE, so you need to figure out how to get the truck side mounts raised by about 3-4 inches. Probably the whole lift frame needs to be up higher on the truck.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  3. NortheastSNO

NortheastSNO Member

How long are the chains. I have a 01 2500HD that has the ultramount setup, and I have no issues with carrying height. I carry a 9-1/2 Pro Plus about 7 inches off the ground and never hit anything.

Only thing that hits for me are the bolts that hold the receivers on.

What mounting system do you have

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Hitting the headlight bar us normal for all the way up
    I would check the pivot pins. With the plow off, you should be able to move the headlight bar full foward and back with easy. If you can't then the pins need lubed

5. NortheastSNO

NortheastSNO Member

Could the fact that the 01 has torsion bars be part of the problem for us and we are carrying such a heavy plow.

6. plowwesternn

from Wisc.

Thanks for all the input so far.

NortheastSNO: I have the Ultramount. Would tightening the torsion bars help? I've never done that before.

Another note: Since I just got this setup, I had it at the dealer last month for them to go through it and service the pump. They never mentioned any issues, but it just seems to me that it isn't going up high enough. The non-level A frame sounds like a problem according to jasonv.

I'll try to take a look at some of things mentioned here and post again.

Thanks

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No. I wouldn't think so. The not raising high enough is a problem in itself.
    Have you cked the light tower test yet?

8. plowwesternn

from Wisc.

Okay. Here is what I have now.

The A frame, the lowest point on the plow side is 7.5 inches off the ground, and the lowest point truck side is 5.25 inches off the ground. That's wrong, right?

dieselss: I took the plow off, grabbed the upper light bar, and it moves forward and back, a few inches at least. I'm basically just sliding the stand shoes across the ground as it moves/pivots. Is that what you mean?

NortheastSNO: The chain length: 27 links from Ubolt to lift arm, about 22 inches. 16 extra links.

Other measurements if it helps:
    -top edge of the truck mount (where the receiver attaches), 15" to the ground
    -top inside edge of the receiver when attached to truck, 11.25" to the ground

Thanks again.