1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow from '87 ford to '96 ford

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cowmilker08, Dec 26, 2013.

1. cowmilker08

cowmilker08 Junior Member

This is my first post here at plowsite, and I'm pretty green when it comes to snow plows.

I have a western plow that came off an '87 F250. I would like to make it work on my '96 F250. The frames are different so I cannot just bolt the unit to the '96. So since I have to do some custom fabricating, I would like to make the mounting unit with the pump mount in front of the bumper rather than behind it. Basically I want to be able to remove the plow mount at the end of the season and not spend an entire day doing it.

Has anyone done this before?

Also, where is a good, cheap place to get parts online or in NE Indiana. I'm trying to do this cheap since I will only be plowing the church parking lot and my own driveways.

Thanks for any help, and Merry Christmas everyone.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You talking a conventional mount plow or unimount plow?

3. cowmilker08

I believe its a conventional mount. Its designed such that the pump and lights stay on the truck permanently. The only thing that detaches is the blade.

4. dieselss

Yes conventional.
    Might almost be better to buy a unimount and mount it up.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I agree. When u say u want to take it off at end of season u r describing a uni-mount (next generation) or ultra-mount (next gen after uni). They both uncouple the whole unit.

6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

as you discovered, the frames are different between your '87 and '96. the year ranges for the F250/F350 are 80-91 and 92-97. the bronco/f150 frames are the same year ranges, but different than the f250/f350.

a friend of mine made a pre 92 western conventional frame fit his 96 f350. he welded it on and it was kind of a hack job, but lasted him years and years. it can be done with proper fabrication, but is a good bit of work.

as others mentioned, if you want it all off the truck, then the unimount is what you are after, not a conventional mount.

i have a 96 F350 with the correct conventional mount and i pull the pump and lights off in less than an hour each spring. still not as clean as a unimount when removed, but i dont remove it to make things clean - i remove it so that it cant be stolen in a parking lot and so that if i'm in an accident, the lift arm on the pump doesn't kill someone.

west2013.jpg

7. cowmilker08

Thanks for the info and the picture. That is a nice truck you have there. (Is it a 351 or 460?)

Is it too much to ask for a picture from the side so that I can get some angles figured? Or can you the angle that the mount sits relative to the frame?

Thank you so much!

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

check out this thread. there are a lot of pictures in here. if you need others let me know specifically what you want to see.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=91106

western's website is also a great resource. here is the correct 92-97 mount:

http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/13585_13593_092891.pdf

here is the 80-91 mount for diesel that had large radiator or monobeam (dana 60) front axle:

http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/13372_100188.pdf

here is the standard 80-91 mount:

http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/13303_100188.pdf

9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

unimounts are SO CHEAP and plentiful to find, it seems as though it would be worth it just to buy a used unimount and truckside and bolt it on.

My unimount is awesome. I think it's one of the simplest designed, and most reliable plows ever made... I'm sure there are others out there that feel differently, but that's been my experience with the unimount style plows, especially the Isarmatic electric versions, and not the cable style actuators, although I'm sure they were good for their time as well.

10. cowmilker08

Thanks for the links. I didn't know western made all that information so openly available.

Where is the cheapest place to get parts? Apparently 6 years ago I misplaced the covers that bolt on to the pump body where the cables connect and also the joystick. Not to mention something in the control box. There are no threads for the joystick to thread into even if I had the joystick.

It looks like you have done an awesome job with your truck. I have two 7.3L powerstroke F-250's. The first is the '96 which is getting this plow. It has 282,000 miles. The second is a '97. Its a extended cab, south truck I bought this summer with only 110,000 miles. It has zero rust except just a little surface rust on the axles. It is parked for the winter. I tried to attach a picture, with some luck it might work.

image (6).jpeg

11. cowmilker08

Apparently I am missing a brass piece that is glued into platen assembly that the joystick threads into. So far I can't find where to buy this brass piece. They all want you to buy the whole platen assembly (p/n: 49015K) for $38. :yow!: That is an expensive piece of brass I'm missing. I wonder if I could make that piece from nylon and glue it in. Its probably worth the gamble anyway.

12. cowmilker08

How many pounds of force should I figure on when pushing snow?

13. dieselss

What? Why would that make a difference?

14. cowmilker08

I want to make sure I building things strong enough. It would suck to bend everything up on the first push.

15. dieselss

Ok so if someone says 1 ton. And you build it for 1 ton. What happens when your pushing towards your pile, you apply your brakes, they lock cause your on ice and you slam into your pile and the curb. Your frame breaks cause you only made it to withstand 1 ton of force. So imo. Theres no answer.

16. cowmilker08

Obviously when you crash things break. I was just looking for a rough estimate then apply a saftey factor. That should give me a pretty reliable setup. Maybe not bullet proof, but good enough for what I'm doing.

17. dieselss

Sorry I won't feel comfortable giving any numbers. And I'm not even sure how you'd find anything like that.

18. cowmilker08

I understand