1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow fluid leak.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ThatGuySnowPlow, Jan 9, 2016.

1. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

I have a western plow that was bought and installed brand new a month ago. After this last snow fall and push I am seeing fluid leaking down the reservoir and onto the frame. I have looked at all the lines on the cylinders and no leaks. Since it's under warranty do I take the cover off or just go to the dealer Monday morning.

2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't touch it if it's under warranty and it's not something you need right this second. Sometimes if you mess with it at all it will void the warranty.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Dealer Monday morning

4. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

OK thanks. Everything seems to function fine just noticed the fluid on the frame.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

On Wide-outs and new style MVPs (+ SS and 3) there is a pressure test port plug on the driver's side of the valve block. Pull the DS cover off the plow and have a look for a tiny ORB plug (O-ring boss). As you look in the cavity it will be to the upper right. These plugs tend to be loose from the factory. You will see that the O-ring will be pushing out and the blue fluid will leak any time the pump is running. It will not leak when the plow is suspended in the up position because there is no pump pressure, only the pressure trapped in the lift cylinder. I find that the hex hole in the factory plugs are too loose so when you tighten them the allen key socket just spins. We replace them with after-market plugs. Usually after this O-ring is pushed out they won't seal again just by tightening them so at least pull the plug and replace the O-ring before tightening.

But of course take it back to the shop for warranty. But when they say they can't find anything leaking tell them to look for that plug. If they are worth their salt they will already no about this problem. Of course there are other possibilities but this is common. I have also found the crossover relief valve cartridge loose (bottom right side of valve body) on a few Wide-outs and occasionally leaking valves but very rarely.

6. Justin NSL

Justin NSL Junior Member

I am having the same problem as you on one of my new pro plus plows. I took it to the shop and they couldn't find where the leak was. Did you have any luck with your plow?

7. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

Goes in tomorrow morning 8AM!

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Where the unit bolts onto the bracket, there is a plug with a oring that may have come loose, my best guess, had one like this last year.

9. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

Well they had the truck all day and couldn't find a leak. They said to leave the plow dirty when I see the blue spot again so it's easy to find. Well I guess I better go plow a field and check for the blue spot on the frame lol....

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Did it come out of the vent for the resivor?

11. Justin NSL

Justin NSL Junior Member

My dealer said the samething..

12. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

Not sure as it was running down the reservoir and onto the frame.

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Sounds like great customer support.......

14. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Being a brand new plow it is possible that they overfilled it. When it it topped up (being a straight blade) it can be at any angle but should be all the way down, then put in float (hold down button until green light comes on) then push the lift frame down to push all the fluid out of the lift cylinder. Then fill the reservoir until it flows out the side hole. Some people fill them from the side but I have a zig-zag adapter that allows me to put fluid in the vent plug hole. This way it is easy to see, with a flashlight, when the blue fluid is about to come out. If you overfill the unit it will certainly come out the vent plug and make a mess.

But as I said above, there are often loose plugs right from the factory. However, it sure makes it easy to find if you look for the blue snow and point that out to your dealer. Knowing when it leaks helps too. If it leaks while parked overnight with the blade down it's not a pressure leak and is probably a reservoir o-ring. If it only leaks when the blade is elevated sitting for long periods it's something between the lift ram and the valve. If it only leaks when the motor and pump are spinning it's a valve block leak somewhere behind the valves.

15. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Looked up the invoice from last year. The poppet check valve plug was loose and leaking on the one I had. They were just loose enough to leak a little.