1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow electrical hook up

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MitchellMouland, Dec 1, 2012.

1. MitchellMouland

MitchellMouland Junior Member

Hello guys! I just purchased a second hand western plow for my ford f 350, 1995 7.3. I Have a the mounting done but have no clue how the electrical. The plow so i have been told is a unimount/v blade/ with a cable joystick! I need the diagram for the joystick, lights on the plow to truck and starter relay! Also any addition advice or pictures would be great! Thanks
    http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/western_v-plow_2500_tekamah_10547213.jpg

2. m_ice

m_ice Junior Member

Western has all the schematics on their website for that application, its confusing so good luck

Im not quiet sure how that link button works but if you go to
    westernplows.com

then go under parts & service it will lead you the rest of the way

3. stvktz68

stvktz68 Junior Member

i just finished mine it was really ease what questiond do you have

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

"The plow so i have been told is a unimount/v blade/ with a cable joystick!" I don't think Western ever made a "cable operated" V plow??? There are uni-mount V plows called the MVP but they were electrically controlled, not cable. Unless you mean "electrical" cables. Your plow probably has a 14 pin cannon plug to connect the controller (either joystick or hand-held) with only ten wires in it. If that is the case here is a link to the mechanic's guide which includes schematics. http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/21857_061503_web.pdf

Your photo doesn't show much. Clearly a V plow but something is missing. There are no headlights or even a headlight tower. The old mechanical cable operated "conventional" straight blade headlights and hydraulic units stayed on the truck while the blade came off but, as I said, I don't think Western ever made this type of V plow. Perhaps one of the old timers can identify this better?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you look at his pic very closely it appears the Uni light brackets and lights are there. May just need a better set of eyes to see them, or we're just seeing the conventional mount behind the plow. Not sure what the OP is describing though, can't say I've ever seen a cable operated Uni. Perhaps it's a piece together, or we're just not yet clear on his terminology.

I'm not an old timer (yet) but they did in fact during the conventional mount days. They were called a Tri-Plow. Used the conventional cable pump along with an aux valvebody with electric solenoids, therefore making it cable AND electrically operated. Glad they're all but gone with the dinosaurs too. Thumbs Up

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

need wayyyy more info there capt, ron.

7. mishnick

"I'm not an old timer (yet)" Didn't mean an old person, just meant a "veteran" of the old equipment. Must admit though that I did have you in mind :laughing:

8. mishnick

OK, now I see the old rectangular sealed beams. Had to download the photo and open it in an app that would allow me to zoom in. Eyes might be failing but my computer skills are still pretty sharp, when I actually apply them.

P.S. I am an old timer, mechanic since 1977 but have only been working on Western for about ten years... and yes, my eyes are not what they used to be.

9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

10. MitchellMouland

MitchellMouland Junior Member

I got the joystick figured out i think just the light wiring now! There is a harness you can buy from western for the lighting thats all plug in and go? Would be a lot better then tieing in and making my own harness!! Anyone know the part number for a 1995 f350 7.3 4x4 ?

11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

sure, you should have bh5 lights on the truck, and the headlight harness only is a 61591.