1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow doesnt work

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dave Meyers, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

I am the newbie who just finshed the plow install on the Scout. Its a western isamark, cable accuated. It worked well for about five minutes then slowed and ceased to function. The solenoid is still good, and I bypassed it to make sure it wasn't the problem. The grounds are good and the 12 V to the motor is good. It hasn't been used in a season or two or three, its probably an older model. I filled it with hydraulic fluid prior to use. The outside temp wasn't colder than about 16 degrees when it ceased to work. I don't know at waht temp they start to freeze up. When I tug the cable and jump the solenoid, I don't hear a motor spin, but dont know how audible a plow motor would be anyway. I see no drop on the voltmeter when I try to engage the motor.; I am thinking there is a problem with the motor itelf, but hate to diagnose equipment I have only been familiar with since yesterday. Any thoughts or procedures I can use to pin point the problem are appreciated. Dave

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

if you jump the the solenoid and your motor doesn't run you got a bad motor

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Bad motor, when under load it should whine a little. Not alot but loud enough to hear.

4. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

Thanks guys, kinda feared I have to buy somethin' to fix it. I just thought that the very last test I could do is remove the motor and hook it straight to a battery, no solenoid, no pump, just motor and battery. That ought to narrow it down for sure. Any recommendations on where to get a good deal on a motor near Kenosha Wisconsin?

Dave

5. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

The new motor is on the way. Old one definitely bad. I removed it from the truck, hooked straight to the battery and no spin. Spun it by hand and it sounded like a box of broken rocks. Spun the pump by hand, smooth as silk. Thanks for the help. Dave

6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

glad 2 see your getting it fixed

7. greythorn3

greythorn3 Junior Member

cavble operated pump?

how do you like that pump setup? i have a chance to look at one to buy and was wondering if they are any good? are parts expensive for them?