1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow controller issue/defect?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MetroplexPlow, Jan 29, 2011.

1. MetroplexPlow

MetroplexPlow Junior Member

are the joysticks "touchy" ? PUSH to far 1 way or the other and it is no good? i was looking online the other night and found you can replace the contacts in the joystick . could this be the problem ?

i borrowed this pic from another member's post (sorry if it bothers you i needed a pic on spur the moment)

i just bought a burb with the western plow on it and hadn't even had it 2 days and the damn joystick now don't work. The guy i bought the truck from said that he had the plow setup for 12yrs and had to replace the joystick once and warned me if you move it to much in either direction it breaks it and you have to buy a whole new joystick at which he said he paid 210$ a year or what ever a go. 210 is steep im hoping that its a minor fix and im up and running . Altho i am still plowing with it but it makes it look like poop cause im unable to lift the blade after the run I HOPE its just the controler and not the pump.

[​IMG]

i will have my own pics posted tommorrow

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have never worked on one of these old birds myself but I did play with them on the Western factory course. What I remember is that the cable adjustments are very delicate. So if your cables are pushed too far and stretch then your adjustments will be out.

3. MetroplexPlow

the left side used to be pretty fast (moving the blade to leftside) but right side was slow hesitation . up down was reasonable. with this pump i don't even know if its working its quite.. compared to my other pump on my other plow truck to which i always knew it was working.

4. mishnick

If I remember correctly there is an electric motor running the pump so the only thing that is different between right and left is how far the valves open. That is controlled by the movement of the cable linkages so if they are not perfectly adjusted your valves will not open equally.

5. MetroplexPlow

YES But at current i do not get any movement up /down / side to side. the setup was slow had a hesitation of turrning right when the prev owner had it said it needed adjusted .. but how would that effect the up and down? Either way i called the prev owner and he's coming over to help me out tommorrow by looking at it

6. MetroplexPlow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

well i replaced the solenoid and now the pump works again , Plow worked for a couple hrs after replacing that part. ( after finding out the stupid thing was busted too , So had to jump it with a toggle every time i want to adjust the blade.) Now i can't move the blade up down , left /right . But my pump comes on. I took the truck next door to a garage and the guy said that the pump might be frozen , or something to do with rings (basically inside guts) Now i am thinking that perhaps the contacts in here:
    [​IMG]
    are bad . I found a site that you can order the contacts from .. Could this possibly be my problem now? Any one in the youngstown ,ohio area that knows about plows able to stop by and look at my setup ? i would take it to a shop but we use it as a property truck so theres' no plates on it currently , other wise i would go and take it to a shop my self.

7. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Pull the motor assy. and check the fluid for crap and water that has frozen then remove the small filter on the front of the hydralic pump inside the housing. You will see it once you drain or suck out the fluid. Filter could be clogged or moisture on it that has froze.

8. mishnick

Looking at the pictures I see that this plow has been significanly modified from original. There are contacts in the joystick that engage the pump motor for up, left and right. If you had to jump the relay to make it work then the switches inside the joystick may be bad or the related wiring. If all three motor switches failed I would lean toward wiring. Bottom line here is that you have multiple problems that may need some direct line of view / hands on testing. See if you can find a local plow mechanic to do a house call.

9. MetroplexPlow

i had my maintence guy come - We managed to get the plow to lift - ACOUPLE times , and turn all the way to right . But it will not - go down or counter the other direction . This is why i asked in my orig post are these controlers finiky (touchy) to much pressure in either direction breaks the controler? WE determined the controler is the problem .

any one have a GOOD JOYStick controler for the western?

thanks.

10. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Does the motor run when the plow won't move? That's a contact issue. If the motor runs then it's a cable issue. At the end of the cable at the pump remove the covers and check movement or if there is frozen water in there keeping it from moving.

11. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

any luck yet?

12. MetroplexPlow

i haven't messed with it sense yesterday evening . I called a place that is a dealer for western in youngstown ohio today , and i explained my problem and they said basically the same thing you did About the cables. And said to take the cover off and try and manually move the blade- I 'M Waitin on my maintence guy to come by look at it .

i found a site that sells the contacts for the joystick - but aparently you can't replace that you have to replace the whole thing . Why would they sell a replacement part if you can't take the damn thing apart?

13. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a mechanic pdf (short version).. here the link to the post were you can down load it
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=116297

Or go to western,
    use the search
    and put these numbers in one at a time

Short version

Long version

U can open if you have a PDF reader install on your computer

Long version show you how to take the controller apart and adjust the cables..Short version is limited. I would download the long version..

myopps.jpg

stick.jpg
    stickone.jpg
    sticktwo.jpg

Did the previous owner ever mention if he ever replace the cables?? They might be stretch!!!

myopps.jpg

stick.jpg

stickone.jpg

sticktwo.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  14. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

That plow has been modified..Short arm for the lights is missing (someone change the lights out).They must shake down the road..

Look like a "plate" beneath the motor.

15. MetroplexPlow

just mentioned that he replaced the controller a year ago. Weather or not he replaced the cables at that time i do not know.