1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow Controler or Wiring?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mass-hole, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Mass-hole

Mass-hole Member
    from Boston

I just bought a new truck, 1998 Ranger, which came with a Western Isarmatic Mark 3a Plow on it.

I'm having a problem with the plow, whenever I move the plow to the right, and it's off the ground, the plow also raises. Sometimes this occurs when moving the plow to the left also. I think this may be occurring when I've got the plow on the ground, but am uncertain. The wiring for the plow is a total hack job (electrical tape, no connectors that I can easily see). I haven't had the chance to really get into it, since I just located the manuals for the truck and plow. However, the plow isn't shorting anything out, so I'm suspecting the contacts in the controller might be bad.

I'm going to rewire either way, but does anyone have experience with whether these controllers tend to go bad?

Thanks. -Michael
  2. swmipropertymai

swmipropertymai Junior Member

you need to adjust your cables! take cover with 3 screws off and have someone move controller both ways and whichever way isint working adjust cable towards that direction either up or down to where it moves equal to other direction. also your up/down cable needs readjusted also thats why its lifting when you go right. try adjusting the plow to drop faster since its obviously set to raise really quick. let me know;..
  3. Mass-hole

Mass-hole Member
    from Boston

I found the manual for this plow before you responded to the thread.

However, adjusting the cables did the trick, and the unit works great now. Thanks for the reply. -Michael