1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow cables?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by LKVL, Jan 14, 2004.

1. LKVL

LKVL Junior Member
    from MSP

I have a 1988 ford xlt. I'm mounting a western snow plow on it. I need to run the cables into the cab for the joy stick. I don't see any plug holes to run the cables through. Anyone ever put in cables? Where did you run them through. Do I need to drill some holes if so where is the best place?

Thanx

2. DaleL

DaleL Junior Member

You're referring to the electrical wiring I assume...:confused:

If you have carpeting or rubber floor mat, just above where it stops up under the dash you will see a few places in the fire wall where other wiring/cables come through. There are even plastic 'plugs' that are covering openings on most vehicles that you can 'poke' a hole in big 'nuff to get your wiring through...

Hope this helps...

DaleL :)

3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

On mine I decided the best place to mount the controller then drilled a hole for the cables where they would be fairly straight. I think western recommends two holes (one for each cable) but I used a hole saw and drilled one big one (about 3/4"). I then used a large rubber grommet and a little silicone to seal it all up. By keeping the cables fairly straight they will operate smother and last a little longer. Try to avoid sharp turns in the cable. Long gradual bends are much better. I also took a piece of heater hose and slid it over the cables where they go through the core support to keep them from chafing.