1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow cable adjustment?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jayzuki88, Mar 6, 2012.

1. jayzuki88

jayzuki88 Junior Member

I have done quite a bit of research in trying to get my Western cable operated plow fine tuned. I am having no luck though and need advice on my next step. The plow raises and lowers perfectly. It does not like to angle at all. I can adjust the cables and it will angle one way or the other, but never both ways. Here is what I have tried or replaced. The plow has all new hoses and pin type couplers. The plow will angle with ease by hand when the two angle cylinders are connected to each other. I have changed the fluid and installed a new filter. The motor is new. The cables have both been replaced as has the joystick. The joystick and the cables are aftermarket S.A.M. I have swapped out the angle cable with a second new one with no change. The lift valve has been turned out in 1/8 of a turn increments till the plow will barely lift, but this does not help my angle problem. If I take a pair of pliers to the angle valve and move it either way the plow angles perfectly. So I am not getting enough cable movement to make the plow angle. I filed out the joystick housing from the old joystick to give the lever just a little more throw. While this helped, it is still unbelievably slow at angling. So what do I do next? Western Oem angle cable? Does my 4-way valve need rebuilt? Does the whole unit need rebuilt? Set the truck on fire? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks,
    Jay

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

wow, it sure sounds like you've covered the bases. The only other thing I can think to do is take the covers off and watch how much travel you are getting. If you can angle ok by moving the lever without the cables, then the cable control has to be the problem. question is why. the SAM control should be pretty much a copy of Western's. I assume you have the control mounted with a dash bracket or floor bracket? If it's not securely mounted you wont get full travel.

3. jayzuki88

jayzuki88 Junior Member

The joystick is mounted to the dash using a dash bracket. The cables have no sharp turns and move freely. Just not enough travel on the angle cable when the lever is centered to get the plow to angle. As I said the controls and cables are new. This has gotten to be very frustrating. Thanks for your reply!

Jay