1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow broken

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cooters, Feb 8, 2011.

1. cooters

cooters Junior Member

Hi all, looking for Idea's. I have 1998 chev 1/2 ton with a western plow. (plow could be the same year as truck or slightly newer). Things were working fine the all of a sudden the everything stopped. Plow was down at this point. The red light that is usually on at the inside controller was out as well. I checked battery connections and wiring connectors at plow and truck. The truck lights work. When I connected and disconnected the wiring I didn't hear a click. I'm not sure what to do next....

2. techteacher

techteacher Junior Member

I had the same thing happen it was the power wire to the remote that was hooked into the fuse panel of the truck.

3. cooters

cooters Junior Member

okay how did you find the wire?

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

The wire you are looking for should be the red wire on the 6 pin plug that you plug your controller into. This wire has to have 12 volt power when the ignition is on. I would agree with tech teacher on that being your problem. Good luck

5. techteacher

Yes it is a single red wire I think the only one that comes out of the wiring harness in the cab. Most of the time attached to the truck fuse panel so it turns on and off with the truck.

6. cooters

cooters Junior Member

Thanks I'll let you know what I find

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

check the wires on the solenoid (small terminals)

8. cooters

cooters Junior Member

hi again, checked the solenoid wires: tight, also have 12 volts on red wire inside cab when the ignition is on. It's a 6 pin connector. I have power on one side of the solenoid but no power at the pump. I tried a borrowed solenoid but nothing changed. If I were to jump directly to the moter do I just go from the battery? Any help would be greatly appreciated

9. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

use jumper cables right from the battery to the motor. you said you had power at the white plug right? do you have ground on the black orange?

10. twinman326

Check the blk/orn and the brn/red wire at the solenoid (two small terminals)

11. cooters

cooters Junior Member

do you mean check for power at these wire's or ground? should the solenoid click when I connect and disconnect the wiring harness near the plow? thanks

12. techteacher

Have you tried a diffrent remote I know more than one that has gone bad.

13. techteacher

The only click I have when I plug mine in is the lights if they are on.

14. cooters

cooters Junior Member

okay, I took my voltmeter from the pos. side of battery to the black/orange and the brown/red and had 12 volts at each post. I used jumper cable from the battery to the moter and all I got were sparks...any ideas? thanks

15. cooters

cooters Junior Member

no I haven't tried a different remote. It would be nice if I could just jump some wires to prove if it's good or bad...any Idea's

16. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

When you are jumping the motor from the battery, hook the motor side pos first, then put the other end on the battery pos. sparks can jump but you kind of need a quick firm placement. On a safety note, plow will want to raise when you activate the motor so watch out!
    Did you check the fuse for the controller? :mechanic:

17. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

if you hooked jumper cable from pos and neg on the battery to pos and neg on the plow motor and the motor does not run it may indicate bad motor. it could also be a clogged screen on the pump or a bad pump. if you remove the motor the pump shaft should turn freely with your fingers. if it does not your filter may be plugged. that or the pump is locked up.

18. techteacher

He said his light doesn't come on on the controller. I think it is something with the controler. I would try another one but I am not sure hard to diagnose over the net.

19. cooters

cooters Junior Member

thanks dave and no lead. Dave where would I look for the controller fuse? I will try to jump the moter again as you suggested. No lead: where would I look for that filter on the pump? Thanks again for the info I'm in the dark when it comes to plows

20. twinman326

The fuse sit inside a "round holder".. It is a 6amp fuse..plug into the fuse box.Can't miss it...

myA.jpg

Here a controller test

mycrtAA.jpg
    mycort.jpg

myA.jpg

mycrtAA.jpg

mycort.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011