1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow angle ram

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sameoldthang, Sep 15, 2014.

1. sameoldthang

sameoldthang Member

256-0245 plow ram

this ram stick fully extended at times. I have to tap the edge of the plow on a bank of snow to get the left angle ram to retract.

56102 10" x 1-1/2"

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. sameoldthang

sameoldthang Member

Sorry about the above post. Can I actually fix the angle ram that sticks extended at times ? Or just replace it?

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Replace it. Not worth trying to replace everything. I thought aftermarket was around 100.00

4. sameoldthang

sameoldthang Member

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Good chance it's bend. Keep the other in the truck.

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

even better chance that the rams aren't the problem though. More likely something in the power unit, unless it is an actual bent ram.

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds fishy to me that the other ram isn't strong enough to push it back and banging on it breaks it free??? Or is it a double acting ram on a V? Either way 1300 + per sq inch pressure from the hydro unit should be able to overcome a bit of a bend. Be prepared for more trouble once you have the new ram on it. Don't throw the old one away, if you can't see a bend it might not be bent at all.

8. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Are you sure its not a Meyers? They always do that, green solenoid

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Good point! Maybe a boss with single acting ram with spring return......