1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow angle problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by speedracer241, Dec 15, 2001.

1. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

did a little work on the shops poor old worn out ford today, 88 f-150 with a 7 ft western conventional mount cable operated powerpack, put a new cutting edge on it and noticed several places that needed a little welding. pulled the plow off for the repairs,had to reweld the brackets on the plow at the ends of the angle cylinders. had to loosen up one of the quick couplers to get everything to line back up,lost some fluid but pretty sure no air got back in. i then bled the cylinders 2 times and refilled with new fluid. pretty sure i did things right but i guess not... the plow raises when you try to angle it. it angles but reaches full height before it gets to the end of its travel.
    guess i learned my lesson, if it works broken.....dont fix it!!
    and advice/help will be greatly appreciated
    thanks in advance
    Mark K

ps i did a search and didnt come up with too much and westerns site didnt list my problem.
  2. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf Junior Member

Speedracer, I have a couple of ideas that might help you. My first plow was a WESTERN cable plow and it worked great or when it was out of adjustment, it worked really bad.
    If I remember right, the angle cable sounds like it has slipped out of adjustment, allowing the fluid to into the lift cylinder. There is an allen head set screw where the cable enters the lift motor. check to see if it might of slipped.
    I will try to look for an old owners manual, if I can find it, it might have some other trouble shooting ideas.
  3. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

I think Columbia is on the right track here, according to the Western trouble shooting guide, it says the following:
    When Plow Raises while angling check the following:
    oil level too low
    lift valve misadjusted
    ice,dirt,corrosion in turn valve
    cable set screw on turn valve not in cable groove
  4. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

here is a very simple way to check- remove side rectangular cover w/ 4 screws(that accesses your lift cable),slide the lift cable off the lever,if lever is not PERFECTLY horizontal,move it until it is.go in truck and angle the blade,if the plow DID NOT LIFT,then hook back up your lift cable, and adjust cable so when controller is neutral position the lever is horizontal. B) if plow DID RAISE,you have a piece of dirt betwwen lift valve and shuttle,which will cause fluid to leak past to lift ram causing to raise. OR,the lift valve needs to be backed out approx. 1/8 turn. if you were to kneel in front of the powerpack the lift valve has a large screwdriver slot (made of metal), or a large allen head (black plastic). hope this will help,goodluck #1 pt.
  5. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

thanks fellas. ill try out your suggestions on monday.

thanks again
    Mark K
  6. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf Junior Member

SPEEDRACER, I am curious, how did the adjustments work? Did you get your plow working correctly?