1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow and S.A.M. handheld wiring issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by FBN, Jan 2, 2014.

1. FBN

FBN Member

I have a Unimount straight blade that is new to me, previous owner said it worked fine and I do trust that. The harness to the controller had the plug cut off when I got it so I hooked up the wires color for color and smoked the controller. Got a wiring diagram for the plow side and a new aftermarket controller but am still having issues. Controller turns on and the power light flashes red 2 times but nothing works and if you hit any buttons it blows the fuse. I really need a wiring diagram for the controller if anyone has one. Battery solenoid checks out good and the motor runs if you jump it.Any help would be great.
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Wiring on your plow is pretty simple. There are only three valves and the controller either sends power to or grounds out each valve coil directly. If u have the schematic u should be able to bypass the controller and activate moves manually with jumper wires.
    I suspect u probably have wires attached to the wrong polarity pins at the battery / power relay. Check their first.
  3. FBN

FBN Member

Problem solved for now. I ended up using 2 Meyer switches I had laying around and a diode that I robbed out of the smoked controller to get everything working for now. I also called Buyers and got a wiring diagram/troubleshoting guide for the controller. Looks like the wiring connections that the guy who sold me the controller figured out were wrong. Will see if I can make the S.A.M. controller work after the snow. I have the file he sent me if anyone else needs it.
  4. mcagauto

mcagauto Junior Member

I could us it if u still have it thanks:mechanic:

OPPIEDOG Junior Member

Sam controler

Mine lights up but no movement