1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow acting strange

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by aquku, Dec 22, 2012.

1. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

Good evening -
    After a day of plowing, my unimount is acting strange on my 2000 ford F250. It seems that at random times, the plow will stop working and at that time the 4 way light illuminate, but do not flash. Then, after about 15 seconds, all is back to normal. I thought it was only happening when piling snow, but it did it when I went to angle the blade when driving. Then, when power returned, the plow dropped to the road. At all other times, the plow works great. I am assuming electrical, but the 4 way light part has me baffled. Any ideas or simialr problems? please post!

thanks
    Aaron

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Clearly electrical, you need to examine your plugs at the grill for sure. The signals / flashers are simply connected in parallel with the truck so there is no fancy electronics to check. The relays have nothing to do with markers or signal / flashers. I would be (very carefully so you don't get crushed) get behind the plow and shake / bend wires to see if you can make it fail, then narrow the failure down by pinpointing the motion that triggers it. I would be focusing on the plugs and the wires very close to the plugs. Being an old uni it probably has two plugs, focus on the one with the small pins. The flasher indicator coming on might be the result of a bad ground causing power to feedback. Check the little black / org wire that comes out of the headlight harness on the plow and connects to the negative lug on the pump motor. If this is corroded or loose it might be responsible.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  3. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

Thanks for the reply...I checked, cleaned and repalced ground terminal at the plow. I also bent the wires/connectors many times and it did not malfunction. I also replaced the selonoid as that was very crusty...but the situation is still present. I checked out the relays and they are VERY dirty. I am thinking that is my next step...to clean all those up...Any other ideas or thoughts?

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Be carefull with the relays. They only effect the headlights so if the headlights are OK I would leave well enough alone. Keep in mind too that you can leave the headlight harness and relays out and the plow will still function so again the relays have nothing to do with the plow functions failing.

5. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

I will leave the relays alone then. Could it be the power plug at the grille (large pins)?

6. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

I will leave the relays alone then. Could it be the power plug at the grille (large pins)?

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It could...but not likely. Did you ck the small gnd at the plow pump?? How's it ?

8. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

I cleaned and replaced that today...I think I am going to have to continue diggling wires until it acts up. I repalced the selonoid today at it was crusty and was getting hot to the touch. Don't know if that is normal? The smaller wires at the selonoid are what? One is a ground and the other is switched power (energized)? Does it matter on what stud those wires (or the larger ones) go?

9. dieselss

Woah!!! The solenoid was getting hot,,,,how what were you doing??? The 2 small pins don't matter. Ones gnd and ones switched pwr from the clicker

10. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

We were just moving the plow back and forth as I was moving wires to see if I could get the plow to malfunction. Then I went to the selonoid to check that and it was hot to the touch. This thing is driving me crazy as the malfunction is not consistent or predictable.

11. dieselss

I thinking gnd. And I'm saying something is backfeeding through gnd

12. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

must be in the wire harness somewhere....I plan to play with it tomorrow and see if I can pinpoint where the faulty is by playing with all the wires

13. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

Update...think I got it licked. the power/ground wire connection was beginning to melt due to a loose fitting connection. Got a set of used cables and it seems like we are back in business. Thanks for all your help and guidence. Happy holidays

Aaron

14. dieselss

Where was the loose fittings?

15. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

The two prong connector from the truck to the plow - Ground and power