1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow 9 foot pro plow want angle left. Why?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Nile, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Nile

Nile Junior Member

Guys,

I have a 9 foot western pro plow jerks but want angle left.Works up down and right. New 9 pin harness, controller, light harness ,one power coil, 4 way valve and solenoid. Cleaned filter, change fluid. I have done all of this trying to fix it. Then I found your site and seen you guys have seen it all. Worked great last year. Has any one have any ideas?

Nile

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like a sticky valve. You have three valves, remove the coils, then remove the valves one at a time and test them. Put the coil back on and connect it to 12 volts. You should hear a solid click when you connect and disconnect them. Look at the valve for deformities and debree stuck in them. My new wide-out did the same thing and I found metal cuttings in the valve that weren't washed out after machining at the factory.

3. Nile

Nile Junior Member

Mishnick,

Thanks, I will try that and see what happens and repost.

Nile

4. Nile

Nile Junior Member

Guys,

Ok I still have the turn to the left issue. I could have bought a plow for what i have spent trying to fix this one. LOL Now its pride involved its not out doing me.LOL
    Ok this is whats been done trying to fix the turn left issue.
    New harness all of it.
    New controller.
    New 4 way and coil.
    New 3 way and coil.
    New selnoid.
    Cleaned motor bursh good like new.
    Cleaned filter. and new blue -50 fluid.

It turned 2 times yesterday, then would not, just jerked. still up and down fine.

This thing killing me any ideas, snow about to start fallin in Kentucky and time now. Lol
    Thanks'
    Nile

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

do you know if you have pwr and gnd to the coil when going left?

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I know this may sound a little hillbilly, but find somthing solid like a concrete light pole base, or a corner of a brick building. Put the left corner of your plow on the corner, push the left on controller, and bump the side of the building.

Do that, and see if the plow will move the rest of the way to left.

Stop replaceing things. All that that is doing is making the problem harder to find.

7. Philbilly2

also, try wiggleing the plow side to truck side connector around to different positions. If one of the the pins is not seeing 12v it will not pop the vavle and let the fluid threw

8. mishnick

Assuming this plow is a uni-mount straight blade... The S2 and S3 valves are the ones needed for left angle, I will assume you meant those when you say "three and four way valves & coils." As stated above, you need to verify that current is actually flowing to both of those coils when you press the left angle button. To test this disconnect the output side of the motor relay so the relay still clicks but the motor does not turn. (Disconnecting the power plug may cause problems because you loose your ground) Then get someone to hold the left angle button and then put a screw driver on the end of the cartraiges. If the screwdriver is pulled in by the magnet then you know they are being sent power, if not then you know it is electrical and can follow the specific wire responsible for that coil.

I agree that you should stop throwing parts at it. Logical troubleshooting first, narrow the problem down to the specific failed componenet before replacing it. Every part you replace risks compounding the problems.

Do you have the mechanic's guide for your plow? Tell us exactly what kind of plow it is and we can post a link to the guide if you don't know how to find it yourself. But we need to know what it is. You said it's a 9' pro plow but is it uni or ultra-mount. Relay, three port or four port isolation module? Two or three plugs at the grill?

9. Nile

Nile Junior Member

Guys,

I want to thank all of you for taking time to help me. I am new to this plowing snow. I bought a used older 9 foot uni mount pro plow straight blade off a school. Used it to do my business lot last year worked great. Just sat this summer now this all happen when I hooked it back up.Now I have the business neighbors ask to pay me to do their's so here I now have people counting on me to do this every year im trying to learn the plow and how to fix it.
    The reason I replaced all this stuff was talking to a western plow sales place and they would say it sounds like this. And then that dont work and it sounds like this. As you see thats just making it worse to find my issue. So where do I find the the link on the plow I have? And yes S2 and S3 is the valves I changed and the coils. My problem is I never have any one here to hold things while I test them. I well find some help and try some of the stuff you guys have told me. I work full time and I only do snow part time so it takes me awhile I only have small amounts of time to work on it right now.
    Thanks again guys you already told me more than the people I have been asking.
    Nile

10. dieselss

Again, did you ck for pwr when your going to the left? Start back there. And I understand hard to test yourself, I am in the dame boat at work but.....if you disconnect the main pwr to the plow, you can rubber band the controller to the left to ck for pwr output.

11. Philbilly2

Amen to that. I can't count the number of times I have rubber banded, ziptied, tiewired, wedged, weighted, anchored, and pryed things so that I can test them by myself... somtimes you have to think outside the box a little.

12. dieselss

Oh man,,,I thought I was the only one that does that stuff. Shoot, gotta figure out a new way to do it.

13. Nile

Nile Junior Member

Guys,

Yes. rubber bands and zipp ties. Thats a great idea. I know I have a roll of 200 mile a hour duct tape. Who needs help now. I got this.. I will check for power on all the valves today. I guess if you are setting in snow with just you in the truck you have to think out of the box. Thanks
    Nile

14. Nile

Nile Junior Member

Guys,

Had my son bump the contoller left for me tonight. Took a test light to the power side of the S2 and
    S3 power coils they click and have power to both light up brite. It moved one time to the left and I centered the plow tried again nothing but a jerk.

I read somewhere on a post that said to switch the hoses right to left on the rams.I did that and the problem went to the right side. So before I stick more stuff on this plow, what do you think?

Hose collapsed?
    Ram arm issue?
    Valve block?

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

you might need a new hand control

16. mishnick

I think you need to look closer at the S3 valve, that's the one closest to the truck grill and the longest valve of the three. Pull the cover off the valves, remove the nut that holds the coil on and then the coil. It should come off easy, if it is sticky that indicates it is swollen and damaged. Once you get the coil off remove the cartraige valve and have a good look at it. Look for broken seals and for debree in the fluid holes. Finally, put the coil back on and then use jumper wires to put 12 volts to it. You should hear a distinct click when you apply and remove power. If you don't hear a click the valve is sticking shut as I expect is the problem.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Broken spring or sticking spool in the poppet check valve. Not uncommon and the only thing that will prevent left angle when both the S2 and S3 are good, which based on your description they obviously are. Need to pull the poppet apart and have a look see but I highly suspect you'll find something visibly wrong in there.

18. Nile

Nile Junior Member

Guys,

I checked the old S3 I took off it was fine and the one thats on the plow is new and so is the coil clicks and lights up test light bright when plow controller is pushed left. Took poppet out looks ok to me, But the tip that rides on the angled slide area was shiney and worn looking. So I ordered one for it will be in later this week.
    About all that has not been replaced is the block its self. A local guy told me it could be the seat in the block hanging the poppet. Has any one ever heard of this? And had t o replace the block due to this?
    I will change out poppet and let yall know.
    Thanks

Nile

19. mishnick

The only reason I have ever changed a valve body is because it was cracked from a collision. There is no seat in the aluminum, only the area that the O-rings seal against. Don't rush out and buy one.

20. Nile

Nile Junior Member

Mishnick thanks I want buy one lol