1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western or snoway ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JustUsDe, Aug 14, 2003.

1. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

I just bought a 2003 silverado 2500hd crew cab with snow plow prep package. I was real sure I was going to buy a Western pro 7.5 from a dealer in md. I liked the price 3350 installed. I didnt like the 1 to 1.5hour drive each way to have installed or if I have a problem to have to go so far. I checked for dealers in my area and there aren't any western direct dealers just sub dealers so they can't compete with the price. Then I found a local snoway dealer and they are also a western sub dealer but they swear by the snoway plows. They quoted me a price today of 4350 installed for a snoway 29predetor 8.0 with pressure down and wireless control. I was wondering what people thought of snoway and if it is worth the extra 1000 for the 8.0 plow, wireless control, pressure down, quality, and to have a dealer much closer.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to PlowSite :waving: . You definately want an 8' plow for that truck to keep your rear wheels out of the snow. Check out Chuck's FAQ post at the top of this page or click on this link and scroll down till you get to a topic of interest - like "7.5' or 8' for this truck":

http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/plow_site_FAQ.html

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

We have several Snoways,and they have been very good to us.No major problems,but lots of little stuff.The weld quality was terrible on our units,but I'm sure it has been rectified now,as you don't hear as many reports about it.

They are also a little on the light side to be behind a bigger truck that gets used hard.It will tear the center pivot area out,and will bend the quadrant ears,and the area behind the lift ram.This only happens on or bigger trucks (full size Jimmy's),which get used hard.I would assume that Snoway has beefed them up some.

Wiring harness from truck to plow also tends to get brittle after a few years,and the wires start to break.Easy to fix,but hard to find which wire it is sometimes.

The Downpressure system is realy handy for backdragging,and scraping up frozen stuff.

For the extra $1000.00,I would say it's not worth it.Get rid of the wireless controller,and go with the regular one,as I'm sure it's gonna save you some money.It could also be trouble if it acts up in the middle of the night.Talk him down a bit,and see if you can come close to the price of the Western.If not,I'd get the Western.

4. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Go with the larger blade. If you're plowing commercial look at a V blade in the $4500 range, that would be worth it. Otherwise I'd go with the 8' Western.

We have used SnoWay's, and like Wyldman said, they are good plows. If you're doing residential the back drag is nice with down pressure. I'd buy another for a small vehicle. But with your 2500 hd, I think you want a heavier blade than the SnoWay. Besides, $4350 is pricey if you can get a Western MVP for something close to that.

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Id go with the Western also. The Western is a "real" plow, a professional plow. But Id definitely get an 8', not a 7.5 for your truck, like the guys above mentioned. Your dealer is far away though, I know I wouldnt wanna travel an hour or more each way to get a part. Well if you buy a new Western, you shouldnt need parts often, they are really good plows, mine has been great over the last 10 years. Never had something on it break and never any kind of odd problems. I have the Uni Mount setup and the only thing that ever happened was I lost one of the big lower pins. You wouldnt think one of those could ever fall out, but I guess anything is possible. I always keep spare pins around though and the cotters that go with the pins. By the way, welcome to PlowSite! :waving: Mike

6. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

Western/Snoway

Western, :gunsfiring: Snoway. It really should be that simple, even if you have to drive or pay more. That is why Western is at the top or realy close to it. Our company, yes use Western. But you choose and you alone can be happy or not with the one you choose. Good luck, Haden 61

7. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Mike and Haden,

I don't really know how you judge a "real" plow or what criteria it takes to be at the "top of the list". What I do know is that I've had good service from our Sno-ways. I've had problems like Chris mentioned but they seem to have worked through that. I've got four of them and see no need to consider another brand.

It still comes back to where you can get the best service and availability of parts. No matter how real they are or how high up on the list, they all break. And if you're in an area that gets a fairly high amount of snow they are apt to break more often.

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Alan, I wasnt knocking Sno-Way plows, not one bit. Im just telling him that I think Western is the way to go, more of a professional unit. I guess thats just an oppinion though. I use Western, but Im not one of those guys that thinks its the best because thats what I use, no not at all, I think Fisher is really good too, but out of his 2 choices Id go Western. If I was going to buy a new truck, I think Id like to try a Fisher next just for the hell of it, but this Western has been really good to me over the years and therefor Im happy to talk good about them to others who are considering one. :) Mike

9. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Thank You for the responses

Thank you for welcoming me to the site. I have driven a plow for about ten years for our state full and part time and love to do it. I never knew there was bulleteens and so much info on the web about plowing. I think I found a new home on the web.

Now getting back to trying to buy the right plow for myself. The distance problem with buying the Western only applies to having it installed and for any warrenty problems. I have a few options close to me to buy parts that may be needed. I am going to call the dealer today to see what the price difference will be to move from 7.5 to 8. It shouldnt be too much the snoway there is only $85.00 difference. I'm still really not sure which way to go. I plan this year to do a few res. and work as a sub for someone already establiched with a number of commer. This will be part time this winter working around my job. By next year I plan on having my wife trained on it so she can cover when I'm at work. Of coarse if we have alot of snow this winter like last I can take some sick and vacation time. I'm hoping to start in small this year and work up slowly. I'm not expecting to get rich or low ball others. I love the work and I am trying to start something that could lead to retiring early from the state. Thanks again for all your advise. I'm still kinda on the fence and know time is running out on making the decision and getting the early discounts.

10. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

I've owned both, love my Westerns, but the Sno-Way was also a very good plow.
    My #1 priority in my landscaping business is dealer service. I buy all my machines from one dealer and I don't care what brand they are. All I know is that they will fix the machines right away, while my men or I wait. They also stock any parts I need. We are then back to work with little downtime.
    Think about driving that hour, hour and a half in a snowstorm, on a Sunday night at 3 a.m. to have a repair done. Or 15 minutes to the Sno-Way dealer. To me, good dealer service is worth the extra $1,000 in itself. Good luck with with your purchase, Mike

11. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Western Plow

I think the Western is the best plow for the $$$$

8' Western Poly Pro Plow installed with Cab Command: $3320

[​IMG]

12. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Western

The Western website shows that their plows do have some advantages over Fisher BUT there are only 3 dealers here in Massachusetts . None of them are close to me . I guess this is just Fisher territory

13. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Still thinking

I want to Thank everyone on their advise and input. Well it looks like I am going to drive the hour to get the Western pro plow. I called the dealer and that sells the Western and they told me they also sell snoway and gave me a price for the same one that the dealer near me but $1,000 less. So I can get either plow for about the same from that dealer. They dealer also runs 20 plow trucks and has both on their trucks and they prefer the western. They made a good point since I drive this truck everyday there are 2 drawbacks with the snoway the mount is lower infact they said it won't clear a curb stop. Also the molding below the bumper has to be removed. With Western the mount sits higher and I loose no ground clearance when the plow is off the truck and the molding doesn't have to be removed or altered. I know the majority here recommend the 8ft. still not sure on 8 or 7.5. The dealer said if I go with the 8 They will have to crank up my torsion bars or I should get timbrens. I just checked the install guide on them are they really that easy to install? Can I only put a pair on the front? Do they raise the vehicle height any? Do they change the right much?

14. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

As for plow size, it seems silly to think that the difference between 7.5' and 8' would make a difference, but you do notice 6". I'd go with the 8'.

As for timbrens, what's nice about them is that they will even out the bounce, for instance when you go through an intersection with your blade up you won't bounce down as hard. I think the $225 or whatever it costs is worthwhile. It doesn't beat up your front end. When you just crank the torsion bars you make for a stiffer ride, where as when you take your blade off, you won't be bouncing down onto the timbrens, you're back to your softer ride. I also look at the timbrens as an ounce of prevention. I haven't run them along enough to see if I'll get more time out of front end parts. But the improved ride is worth it. I just figure timbrens into my truck set up price: add tool box, radio, bed liner, roof lights, timbrens, etc.

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Timbrens can be used on front only,to help with the weight of the plow.They do not affect the ride much at all,they are barely noticable on the GM IFS.They will also not affect ride height.They are very simple to install (and remove),just do it yourself.

I would go up 4-6 turns on the torsion bars as well.It will help level the truck out a bit,and it will carry the plow better.

I just noticed your truck is a crew cab.You'll want a bigger plow than a 7.5 or an 8 ft.I'd go 9 ft on a truck that long.

16. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

GETTING CLOSER TO THAT PLOW

Well,
    I got my hide away strobes put in my truck today from a local ambulance service. I got four hide-aways installed. 2 in the rear tail lights they are red. 2 in the front they are white. The control box can handle six so I still have room for 2 more if needed. They did a great job on the install. It took them about 3 hours with 2 guys working on it. I had two switches put in so I can run just the back if the fronts reflect off the plow too much and get on my nerves. The kit costs $250 for cash and carry not including the switches. They installed and including the switches total bill was $480.00. I think it was worth it having them do it. They did a great job. I now have a one year warranty on the builbs and two year warranty on the control box.

Next time to get the timbrens.
    Then the plow.

Ray

17. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Not a bad deal for having them installed it. But are you sure that it is legal to have white flashing lights in front? In most states, it is illegal and is restricted only to emergency vehicles. I hope that they did not put the strobes in the headlights because I think it is the worst place to put it in, safety wise.

I agree that you should put on a set of Timbren in front, but perhaps you would like to wait until after you get the plow installed, so that way you can make some real comparision and see what difference the Timbren makes. You also will want to crank up the torsion bars too.

Without a doubt, go with the 8' blade minimal, hands down. 8.5' would be better choice, since your truck is crew cab, like Wyldman mentioned.

Good luck with your new truck & plow.

18. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

LEGAL YES

Yes front clear strobes are legal in the state of Delaware. The red in the rear are also legal.

I'm gonna put the timbrens on ahead of time because I am pretty sure I will need them and it won't hurt if I don't. Plus where i'm getting the plow installed is about 1.5 hours drive so I want to be sitting right when I leave the dealer for the trip home. I think I am going to go with the 8.0 plow.

Ray

19. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Not sure why strobes in the headlights would be considered unsafe.

Most states still require a 360 degree viewable light. A roof or rack mounted light would be your best option.

20. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Ray,good choice,the Western is a good plow. ID go with an 8'6 though,its only 20 lbs more weight,and with a crew cab you will be turning in your berm a lot,the extra few inches helps,and the truck wont even notice the size difference.