1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western or Meyers?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by LPD, Sep 20, 2007.

1. LPD

LPD Junior Member

I am looking at buying a 2007 Sierra Classic 2500HD with the plow prep package but no plow. Any recommendations as to what type of plow would be best (new). I am leaning toward a commercial duty poly plow from Western or Meyers in an 8' width. Any thoughts/ suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Go Western. I have a Meyer and well, it has given me nothing but grief!!!! You will be much happier
  3. LPD

LPD Junior Member

1 vote against Meyers- what kind of problems?
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Mostly 100% electrical. The plows themselves can stand the abuse, just for some reason Meyer is known for electrical issues. I have had this thing die on me several times during a storm. I have a spare pump just for these occasions and it stays in the truck with me too. I am getting rid of it next year for a Boss or Western
  5. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i can't count how many times my old myers failed me in storms either elec. problems or hyros . western is nice step up for blade that won't fail you
  6. LPD

LPD Junior Member

Any thoughts as to 8' or 7.5' width? My last plow was an old meyers 7.5 on a dodge with engine powered hydraulics- no electrical problems there!
  7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Are you going to be doing alot of residential?? If so, go with the 7.5 and get a set of wings if you do some lots. If you are doing more commercial, go with the 8 foot.
  8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Never go below 8' with a 3/4 ton truck. A heavier plow for backdragging, and also wider when angled because we all have to angle snow off the side of a driveway. 8' with wings would do well for lots. Good luck!

9. m297

m297 Member

We run all 7.5' Western Pro Poly plows on our chevrolet 2500HD's. Thats whats going on the new 2007 too!!! Been great for me!!!

Good luck
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Weren't you looking at a 07 or 08 Ford Super Duty as well? If I had to choose between those two plows, definitely a Western over a Meyer. I had one (a Meyer) and will never own one again, it failed me in a few trying times, both with electric and hydro's. and this was a newly rebuilt unit and hydro's.
  11. sbt1

sbt1 Member

There is no

such thing as a Myers or Meyers plow.

There is a company named Meyer who makes plows though. 2 'E's, no 'S'.

That said, I'd take a Fisher any day.
  12. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

WESTERN....The only way to go! Most of my Western's are from the early 80's and they make me money every year with minimal upkeep!

Meyers is OK for a homeowner, but WESTERN is commercial grade for the professional snow contractor.
  13. doh

doh Senior Member

Another vote for Western, I have had nothing but and no problems, I have even parked one on the bottom of a lake for 6 days, and still use the harnes and controler today.
  14. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

98 f-150 4x4 w/timbrens
    Meyer ST 7.5
  15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Whats the story behind this?