1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Or Fisher?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BASIC, Aug 2, 2003.

1. BASIC

BASIC Member

In a past post I asked about a straight vs. a V plow,at the time my dealer just carried Western,he now also carries Fisher also.What are the differences between the two?Thanks,BASIC

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

They are very similar.They use the same hydraulics and controls.The mounting systems are different.I used to prefer the Western with the Uni-mount setup over the Minute mount.The newer Western Ultra-mounts hang lower,and can become disconnected easier.

The biggest difference is the trip design.The Western is a full trip blade (whole blade trips forward),and the Fisher is a trip edge design,where just the bottom edge folds forward,and the plow rides up over the obstruction.

I find the full trip plows work better in most conditons,especially when trying to scrape up hardpack or frozen snow.They also trip much softer than a trip edge plow,as the trip edge plows will sometimes fling up hard,and are hard on the truck.

I think it will more come down to who has the best dealer support in your area for the blade you choose.

Here is a pic of my Western in a real miserable snow\ice storm where we had 4 inches of wet cement that was frozen solid.The Fishers would not get underneath it and peel it up.The Westerns would still trip.but you could continue to plow and scrape it up.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Western still plowing when tripped

plowtripped.jpg

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

pic 2

fronttripped.jpg

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I just posted this in another thread, so I thought I'd bring it up here too. Wyldman has some good opinion, but this is my opinion. It all depends on our preference.

Fisher and Western are very similar, they are both owned by Douglas Dynamics, LLC. The difference between them is the trip edge and full trip blade. Fisher has 6" trip edge, which is the base edge (bottom edge of plow), that trips when unmovable object is hit. I really like this design because it keep the main moldboard up and straight, keeping pushing the snow while the trip edge do its job. Western plows has full trip blade, which mean the whole moldboard will trip forward when unmovable object is hit. I believe that all V plows has trip edge, regardless of make. Because if you have the V plow in scoop postion and if the plow hit unmovable object, both blades would slap each other, which would make sense to have trip edge.

Another difference is the angle of attack. Fisher plows (except for X-Blade) have a nice curl design which would helps rolls the snow better with less friction. Western has higher angle of attack, which probably is better for scraping and breaking up ice.

Also each of them have their own mounting design. I cannot comment on Western since I never own or tried them in person, but I owned a Minute Mount plow. It is a good mount design, and with the new Minute Mount 2, it should be even much easier.

In my opinion, both Fisher and Western are very good plows. If you said that your dealer sells both of them, I would choose Fisher.

6. wxmn6

Wyldman, I noticed in the photo of added on lights on the bottom front corners of air dam. I remember that you discussed it somewhere way back. It looks pretty good to me. I think it would be a cool sight watching lighted up snow rolling on the side at night.

What are they called and who make them? Can you find the thread where you discussed about them before? :)

7. BASIC

BASIC Member

Thankyou all for your help.The dealer said if the Western hits an object ie.manhole cover,the Western would go over it,where the Fisher design might just stop the truck.BASIC.

8. wxmn6

No, your dealer is incorrect. The Fisher plow will trip, just the base edge. I explained above about Fisher trip edge. If you hit a manhole cover, the trip edge (bottom edge) of plow will trip while the main moldboard stay up pushing the snow. Look at Wyldman's pic (no offense), the whole plow blade is on the ground. So what you have pushed, and when fully tripped, you spill the snow and probably have to start over again to get the movement going again.

If your dealer said that, you better find someone else. He don't seem to know well. If he believe that, then why would he be selling Fisher? :confused:

9. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I have had both brands .
    Western rolls the snow, and scrapes better . Brands lose some snow when they tripp ,Fishers will jump over some snow when hitting an object. I like the feel of the fisher better when hitting an object. When hitting an object with the blade angled , the wetern tends to push the truck sideway's the fiser won't. I like the mount better on the fisher. both plows are very reliable.
    These plows were both straight blades. If I buy another straight blade it would be fisher x blade or another boss plow. Wright now i'm running fishers.

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Stephen - the lights are just cheap driving lights from Wally world.I leave them loose,so when I'm driving on the roads,I can aim them ahead.When I go out plowing,I aim them off to the sides.

With the Western,when it trips you do not lose all the snow.If you keep plowing with it tripped it will continue to push.You will lose some,but as in the case like the photos posted above,it was still scraping.The Fishers were useless as they would trip,and the fly up,and not keep scraping.This type of snow doesn't come along often,so don't base your decision just on this.

The Fisher will still trip over most obstacles,unless the obstacle is higher than the edge,which doesn't happen much.When it does,you sure know it. :eek:

11. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Actually that's just the opposite,the X-blade is 3 inches taller then the other blades with a 10" overhang on top for an increased roll over the others.

12. wxmn6

Yes, you are correct. It is my mistake. But what I am saying is that with the Fisher angle of attack, the bottom of plow would lift up the snow easier with less friction, but it would not roll as well as X-Blade would do.

13. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Basic, Im in northern NJ also. What snowplow dealer are you working with? I live very close to Shaws Garage. They are in Florham Park. They are a Fisher dealer, but work on Western and Meyer also. I personally never used a Fisher, but I would love to give it a try just to see how I like the trip edge compared to my full trip Western. Its funny, I was talking about this very thing with Steve, wxmn6, just the other day. I know that sometimes with the Western, when it trips, you lose all or most of the snow you were pushing and you have to back up and give it another shot, but if whatever you hit the first time is still there or you hit it the exact same way again, you lose your snow again, haha. I think both have their pros and cons, like anything else in life. I never hit something with the Western where it made the truck come to a complete stop, but somehow I can see that happening with a Fisher if you hit something that sticks up higher that how high the trip edge is. This is probably very rare to hit something that sticks up that high, but you never know whats under that pretty white snow you are plowing. :) Mike

Last edited: Aug 10, 2003
  14. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

X blade

I thought I heard that the X blade was a limited run . Is it a regular item now ?

15. wxmn6

Re: X blade

That is what I heard last year. The dealers were having tough time trying to keep them in stock but kept selling them out like crazy. I would image that this year would be less limited run, but probably not full production run. I also heard that a new plow for this coming winter is Fisher X-Blade Mild Steel. That's right, mild steel. Only the difference from the stainless X-blade model is that the moldboard is mild steel. That's all. It bolts onto the plow frame the same way the stainless moldboard are mounted. Not sure about the gauge of mild steel, but it has to be either 11, or even 10 gauge. 12 gauge mild steel is too thin for this plow to be considered heavy duty muncipal plow. As far as I know of, the mild steel X-blade are due to be released in October.

Here is a picture of mild steel x-blade in yellow powder coat paint. Sorry for such small image, but I got this pic in a such super high quality resolution that this is as small as I can get to Plowiste to allow me to post it.

Attached Files:

16. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I like the yellow look over the silver, although that guy Myo on here has that new GMC 2500HD with the silver colored X blade and his truck and plow combo is gorgeous. I still think that a plow should be a noticeable color though, such as red or yellow. Mike

17. BASIC

BASIC Member

Mike 97 SS.sir I'm in Sussex County,a little far from Hanover,BASIC.

18. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

x blade

The steel moldboard x blade is interesting . One could get all the improvements of the x lade at a lower cost .

19. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Don't count out the X blade,they were only another $300-$400,well worth what your getting.